• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendations for my new to me 68 Charger

Awesome ride. I may be partial to red Chargers. I still want to get another 68 someday as well.

Like the car.

Like the house.

You should have 20° initial timing. If not, try that before you start in on the carb.

Like the car.

Like the house.

You should have 20° initial timing. If not, try that before you start in on the carb.
Thank you, I will start there and hopefully get it dialed in a bit.

Awesome ride you have there!
I also was in a similar state of not knowing what to do with timing and carb adjustments.
Asking questions here and do a lot of reading, after get some hands on and try to do some adjustments to see what it does.
In the end i got my engine tuned in well and runs very crips, make 1 adjustment at the time and you will find out a way to set it yourself.
Also for future troubleshooting or required adjustments you are able to do it yourself and do not need anybody to help you.

A very good help for me was installing a AFR meter, which shows your air/fuel ratio which helps a lot to see how it runs.
See the link, you might be able to weld the nipple yourself on the header.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/prod...l-controllers/digital-wideband-uego-afr-gauge

Awesome ride you have there!
I also was in a similar state of not knowing what to do with timing and carb adjustments.
Asking questions here and do a lot of reading, after get some hands on and try to do some adjustments to see what it does.
In the end i got my engine tuned in well and runs very crips, make 1 adjustment at the time and you will find out a way to set it yourself.
Also for future troubleshooting or required adjustments you are able to do it yourself and do not need anybody to help you.

A very good help for me was installing a AFR meter, which shows your air/fuel ratio which helps a lot to see how it runs.
See the link, you might be able to weld the nipple yourself on the header.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/prod...l-controllers/digital-wideband-uego-afr-gauge

Thanks,
I did buy a cam kit and spring kit as well as watching a bunch of youtube videos regarding tuning. I am hoping to attempt it next time I am up there. I also kind of recall seeing a bung in the header so I may not need to add anything. I will check on that as well. Looking forward to trying it out. Hopefully it will be dry enough to take it around the block between adjustments.

Nice car and welcome,
In an earlier post you state you want bolt on ready heads, that’s not possible unless you purchase them through a machine shop like Hughes engines. They offer both the Edelbrock rpm and TF 240’s. They will go through them and check valve guides etc before sent to your house.

Nice car and welcome,
In an earlier post you state you want bolt on ready heads, that’s not possible unless you purchase them through a machine shop like Hughes engines. They offer both the Edelbrock rpm and TF 240’s. They will go through them and check valve guides etc before sent to your house.

Good to know. I would be comfortable doing that. Will either require additional upgrading of the valve-train?

Good to know. I would be comfortable doing that. Will either require additional upgrading of the valve-train?
That depends on your cam. Have all your cam specs handy when you call them so they can make sure everything matches

Nice car and welcome,

Emailed back and forth with Tim from Hughes and he is recommending the E-street heads with their racing valve job. Does anyone have any experience with this? The price is super reasonable. I have read a few threads pointing out clearance issues with MSD distributors. And then some others regarding valves hitting the pistons. This is beyond my scope of ability knowing whether or not I am going to blow something up by bolting it on. I also don't want to buy them to find out I have a ton of other work that needs to be done to get them to work with my setup. Obviously the smart move is to tune it and enjoy it as it, but it's winter and I'm antsy.

*By no means questioning Hughes ability or knowledge. Just looking for more eyes on it.

Emailed back and forth with Tim from Hughes and he is recommending the E-street heads with their racing valve job. Does anyone have any experience with this? The price is super reasonable. I have read a few threads pointing out clearance issues with MSD distributors. And then some others regarding valves hitting the pistons. This is beyond my scope of ability knowing whether or not I am going to blow something up by bolting it on. I also don't want to buy them to find out I have a ton of other work that needs to be done to get them to work with my setup. Obviously the smart move is to tune it and enjoy it as it, but it's winter and I'm antsy.

*By no means questioning Hughes ability or knowledge. Just looking for more eyes on it.

Msd makes a smaller body dizzy I think it’s part number 8546. Shouldnclead the al heads. I would trust Hughes with what they recommend.

Auto Transport Service
Back