• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendations on removing heater hose nipples

When new ones are $15.00, I wouldn't try to save and re-use the 50+ year old crusty ones. Just use a little heat and a regular plumbers pipe wrench as close to the base as you can get and twist them out. It will destroy them but who cares. Also 1970-up used a smaller size outlet nipple (1/2" vs 5/8"), be sure to get the right ones for your car.

https://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.php?prod=101-HNK1
I agree, well worth the investment.

Before I go too crazy in trying to get these out, I want to see what others have done to remove them. I've tried the vise grip and hammer deal. Soaked the bases in PB oil and tried. Used the slot at the top and that didn't work. I'm trying not to break them obviously, but if they do, all well. I'll deal with that issue if it arises.

View attachment 1605738
Two pages of suggestions now....have you had a chance to play with your nipples yet?

Fire is your friend, you should be able to get it hot enough with a small torch using MAPP gas…

As someone else stated, I replaced mine with an aluminum housing and pump.
Figure along with the heads, intake, and radiator, trimmed substantial weight off the nose. Of course, My GTX is “day two” built.

Agree. The aluminum housing is much lighter and working with new material is easier. And they usually have a second bung for additional temp sensor if you are using FI.

Before I go too crazy in trying to get these out, I want to see what others have done to remove them. I've tried the vise grip and hammer deal. Soaked the bases in PB oil and tried. Used the slot at the top and that didn't work. I'm trying not to break them obviously, but if they do, all well. I'll deal with that issue if it arises.

View attachment 1605738

View attachment 1605738
I use whatever bolt fits inside the nipple, even if it takes some slight die grinding. Then use a small pipe wrench. So far that has worked for mine.

Auto Transport Service
Back