• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommended headers for a 440 in a 71-74 b body?

So seems like everyone here says d452s are the way to go. Honestly I refuse to use hp manifolds. From what ive seen on countless dyno testes they do absolutely nothing. I may consider short tubes but it seem sthat they are just as pricey as the long tubes. Thanks for all the help guys!
Shorties can be as pricey as some long tubes, but they are SOOOO much easier to install. :)

I hear that long tubes are a pain and need denting all the time:realcrazy:. Mines a 69 but I also have a 72 that looks simular, no dents or issues with my Hooker Super Comps. Car has to be lifted fairly high to rotate them in, if using exhaust studs they have to be no longer than needed and the starter has to come out and back in with them. It's really not bad provided you can get the car high enough.

D452s fit like a glove and I have them on all rb blocked b and e bodies. From mild magnum motors to six barrel to trickflow headed 512s.

With the primaries and collectors the power you are giving up because they are "too big" is marginal o a street car.

Hell more people giving up "power" because they don't know how to tune a carb and curve a distributor, rather than too big of a header.

Nonsense.

Agreed. engine masters even proved this on an episode showing that larger exhausts really don't cut power. at a certain point in size it doesn't get any better but it also doesn't get worse. All it seems to do is move the torque curve back and forth a little.

Agreed. engine masters even proved this on an episode showing that larger exhausts really don't cut power. at a certain point in size it doesn't get any better but it also doesn't get worse. All it seems to do is move the torque curve back and forth a little.
They also proved you can put a TON of dents in headers without affecting power very much. That gave me the courage to really get after the tube that always seems to get all over the starter. I have a good half inch clearance now. :)

See attached screen shot from Nicks Garage Dyno Testing on Youtube. Can't recall the header size, check it out for yourself. Hard to argue with a dyno back-to-back test.

Nicks Garage dyno test manifolds vs headers.png

I just went through this hassle. I did a little research for a set of headers that wouldn't kill my wallet. I just couldn't see spending 1k on TTIs for a driver that wont win any awards. so I decided on a set of Patriot headers. Worst decision ever. Sure they bolt up to the heads but when I went to put the torsion bars back in there was no way. the tubes are right in the plane of the torsion bar. No denting of any kind will work its that bad. I wrote the company and told them I would not be endorsing this product but would be telling of the problems instead. I never heard back. so don't get this brand at all. they be ok for a b-block byt not an RB at all.
my thing is they made how many Bbodies over the years and no one ever straightened out there fitment issues?
So now I am going to have to but another set. what a waste of moolah.
I would like to find a decent set that wont brake the bank

half the fun is being able to take a hammer to that sumbitch when the ****** doesn't fit. I took a couple of washers , the thickness of the flange , ran the nut down till it stopped, a cut off the remainder of the studs. screw trying to get them out. gave me the room I needed easy. dent to clear the steering box, the mandatory dent for starter. jack up the motor to give you side to side movement, in from the top. I've had my 200.00 hedman long tubes in and out at least 5 times. my biggest complaint is access to the number 6 spark plug , but a holesaw took care of that.

I can verify that hedmam shorties will fit in a 73 b body perfect. I had mine bolted on before I put the engine in. You will need a mini starter. Without power steering

From a performance perspective you would be 100% correct. I go with headers strictly for the "cool" factor. :) Same reason why I have traction bars on my car... totally un-needed but totally cool.

I like the cool factor too, but see it differently. It's cool to put a whoopin on all those guys with headers. :D

Also cool keeping all that money not spent on headers and new exhaust. (Not really, just spent it elsewhere)

Auto Transport Service
Back