• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recondition / polish original glass

HT413

Semi Pro Bowler
Local time
5:40 AM
Reaction score
Anyone have some tricks / tips / favorite products you'd be willing to share? My vents and rear pop-outs have a kind of dull look to em and have almost a faint surface texture to em, though not really scratched. I feel like compounding them would work but what to use? i'd take pictures but I cant get it to show up on a photo.

I've tried different approach's........... but try a little mineral spirits
on a small rag, if that don't work, try using a 0000 steel wool with a little M/S on it, as a little goes along way.If your working around nice/good paint, make sure you protect it first. You should use some DUCT tape to cover the PPG window insignia, cause it (mineral spirits)
may remove it with the steel wool pad. Dry it up with a soft clean cloth, then I will coat/polish the glass with Kits car wax. They use to call it (KITS J WAX). I've had mine for awhile, and believe I purchased it at Auto-Zone. Let me know how it work's for ya. Good luck.

I have the same problem on my 68 RR, there is a glass polish product that can help cut down very slight scratches & hassing on auto glass you need to use a "low speed polisher" like only 300rpm also, so you don't get a ton of waves in the glass, the product was sold by Eastwood products I think, I still need to find something also, if you find something that actually works well, let me know too...

You should use some DUCT tape to cover the PPG window insignia, cause it (mineral spirits) may remove it with the steel wool pad

Great point, i would have never thought of that.

Anyone ever use cerium oxide? Seems like it's the preferred method on the internet.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, found a nice write up on Meguiar's website. I plan on getting some Cerium Oxide and some felt pads for my random orbital sander (seems like the popular way of doing it). Looks like the best way to do it is to remove the glass from the car, so I'll be tackling this next month probably. I'll let y'all know how it works.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?36261-Glass-Polishing-by-Machine-Defect-Correction

Anyone ever use cerium oxide? Seems like it's the preferred method on the internet.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, found a nice write up on Meguiar's website. I plan on getting some Cerium Oxide and some felt pads for my random orbital sander (seems like the popular way of doing it). Looks like the best way to do it is to remove the glass from the car, so I'll be tackling this next month probably. I'll let y'all know how it works.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forum...-Glass-Polishing-by-Machine-Defect-Correction

ya,let us know how it turns out.

Old body shop trick I've been told about, Tooth Paste. Its basically a light cut n polish and cheap as F. Might be worth a try before dropping big coin on some 'wonder product'.

Old body shop trick I've been told about, Tooth Paste. Its basically a light cut n polish and cheap as F. Might be worth a try before dropping big coin on some 'wonder product'.

Huh. Genius. Thanks, i'll look into it.

I've heard toothpaste works on cloudy headlight plastic on newer cars also. My windshield is original and on a sunny day it's horrible with all the tiny chips/knicks in it. Maybe I'll try toothpaste on it.

Just read an artical in the new Mopar Muscle or Action about glass polishing and scrarch repairs. I'm not sure which product but it was very informative. I'm gonna give it a try this winter while it's tucked away.

I'm still working on my rear glass for my 68 RR. I used everything in the Eastwood glass kit , spent a lot of time on it , without spectacular results. I was trying to get out a few scratches , that apparently were too deep for this process. I got right to the point were I was going to buy a new AMD unit . But then I found out that there were fitment issues with their 68 RR rear glass , I actually made a few calls and was told that they all were on back order . So I went back to work on my original tinted window. I now have it to the point were I have used from the coarse pad all the way down to the fine pad to get a slight haze. Now Im using Eastwoods Rhodite powder , which supposedly is crushed diamonds, to buff the haze out. This also takes forever. But this is what I need to do, just to get it back to the condition it was in before I started. Need to get it back in the car, as motor and trans go in on Monday.

I had a side window for one of my cars that had serious scratches. I took it to a glass shop and had them polish it. It was not expensive and the results were astonishing. It never hurts to go to someone that has the knowledge and experience.

Auto Transport Service
Back