• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reforming SS 69 GTX rear window trim?

69 GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:00 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried reforming rear window trim on GTX/RR rear window trim? I found out after the fact the AMD Dutchman panel isn't even close. I've got a 1/2" gap on the first radius from the corner. Not sure if I can heat it, or cut and tig it? Thanks for the help.

That sucks. Got any pics of the fitment?

Sorry to hear of your problem. I can't give any insight as to how to fix it.
Thankfully when we did my 68 RR, my brother is a very good body man and we cut and welded the dutchman and had the stainless trim on the car to fit panels to that. Actually had to weld up those areas to fit the trim, and of course fit the glass also as we went.
Again, I feel your pain! ruffcut

s-l640.jpg
so the radius

The tight radius on middle pieces

Is the glass gonna fit ok?? If you have a 1/2" gap on the window trim, what's the glass going to do??

As I said earlier. we had to section the AMD dutchman panel. It was no where near correct. ruffcut

Same as ruffcut.

The trim is not easily formed to different shapes, and you don't want anything painted until everything is fit and
cut up/welded back together where it needs to be.

Sorry for the bad news.

Maybe trim could be custom made to fit the opening or original trim could be customized to fit?

Lots of other documentation besides this available, I should probably start a build thread, but those long threads are alot of effort
so I've been putting it off.

rwtrim1.jpg

rwtrim2.jpg

rwtrim3.jpg

rwtrim4.jpg

rwtrim5.jpg

rwtrim6.jpg

rwtrim7.jpg

Cutting, welding and sanding, grinding, then polishing, you could probably reform the trim, but it will not be an easy job. It will take some work to do so.
If you're that far along with the build that everything is painted, then that may be your only recourse.
On the bright side, yours will be a one of a kind!
ruffcut

everything not mocked up before paint, will bite you in the *** after paint
Yeah....found that out many years ago and is probably one of the reasons I don't paint my cars! :lol:

it's a lesson you learn ONCE
I also found out just how much of a tolerance these cars have lol. In the early 80's I had a really nice 70 Challenger 383 4 barrel car and also had a 70 Challenger 440 RT rag top. The vert ran good but the plum crazy paint went crazy and it needed a paint job. Also bought a NOS rear tail trim piece for the RT....the one that goes across the whole back end just above the taillights and has the trunk keyhole in it and incorporates the quarter trims. Well, it fit the nice Challenger perfectly but was 1/4" too long on the vert. That's when I started to look over the vert for signs of damage or repairs and found none! Thing is, each car was built at a different plant.

My 71 Cuda had different measurements in the rear wheel houses by about 3/4"!! Made a pair of 15x8 rallye wheels for 275-60-15's and had to change the offset on the right side on one of the wheels to get it to center up in the wheel house after making sure the chassis was square and the rear end was square with the chassis. Just glad I tacked the wheel centers in and then tried them on the car to make sure they would work before welding them up. It's nuts even with factory pieces.

I also found out just how much of a tolerance these cars have lol. In the early 80's I had a really nice 70 Challenger 383 4 barrel car and also had a 70 Challenger 440 RT rag top. The vert ran good but the plum crazy paint went crazy and it needed a paint job. Also bought a NOS rear tail trim piece for the RT....the one that goes across the whole back end just above the taillights and has the trunk keyhole in it and incorporates the quarter trims. Well, it fit the nice Challenger perfectly but was 1/4" too long on the vert. That's when I started to look over the vert for signs of damage or repairs and found none! Thing is, each car was built at a different plant.

My 71 Cuda had different measurements in the rear wheel houses by about 3/4"!! Made a pair of 15x8 rallye wheels for 275-60-15's and had to change the offset on the right side on one of the wheels to get it to center up in the wheel house after making sure the chassis was square and the rear end was square with the chassis. Just glad I tacked the wheel centers in and then tried them on the car to make sure they would work before welding them up. It's nuts even with factory pieces.
They certainly weren’t perfect! 60’s and 70’s Ferrari guys say almost nothing from the Ferrari factory will fit. The cars bodies were basically all hand built, and no real close tolerances were adhered to.

Waaaay cheaper at this point to modify the trim. Cut and tig it or mig with stainless wire.

Auto Transport Service
Back