• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reliable, and Cheap Overdrive.

vintagetin

Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
I've got a '66 Charger with a 360 and a three speed manual on the COLUMN that was originally hooked to the 318A engine.
I have two questions:
Does anyone know were I can find a good reliable standard transmission with overdrive that will fit my bell housing? I've looked at Tremec kits and I would rather not spend $3,700 for an overdrive. I'm looking to save fuel on cruising and get more torque to the rear tires out of the hole with some shorter gears.
I noticed to get the pilot bushing into the 360's crankshaft I had to cut the outside diameter down on a lathe.:eusa_eh: I got one from Advance Auto parts for the 360 and it had the exact same dimensions as the one in the 318A's crankshaft. I'm not sure what type of tranny the 360 was originally bolted to. Do LA engines bolted to automatics have smaller crankshaft opennings in the back?
Any input would be nice.

Sometimes the piolt hole is not drilled eep enuff for a standard tranny.
Look for a MoPar 4spd OD trans out of a B body. 4 spd's. the 4th gear is overdriven.

Sometimes the piolt hole is not drilled eep enuff for a standard tranny.
Look for a MoPar 4spd OD trans out of a B body. 4 spd's. the 4th gear is overdriven.

What year B-body? As far as I know all the 60's models with the A-833 four speed the 4th gear has a 1:1 ratio like my 3 speed.

Please post some pics. Is that factory "Turbine" bronze? Is it still on the tree?

I'd heard all 66-67 small blocks w/manual were 3/tree but have never seen a Charger that way.

Pics of wife/GF wouldn't hurt, either:)

I think later 4 speeds like Volare and Aspen were o/d 4th.

My experience is some cranks are drilled for a pilot bushing and some are not. Usually the hole isn't deep enough but the diameter is OK. Sounds like you got a ringer.

As Rumble said, the factory OD 4 speeds are a cheap way to get OD but they are usually aluminum cases and the gear spread is not suited well for high performance use. I have one and I think it's out of a late model pickup. Check your pick-N-pull in the truck section. The tranny will look just like an 833 but with aluminum case. Another note is the output shaft bearing support in the tail shaft can get wiped out requiring part replacement. This wear must be a result of towing or hauling heavy loads in OD for extended periods of time.

The OD gear is actually 3rd but the 3-4 lever is flipped up side down so you still see the conventional H pattern in the shifter.

Another option is the Passon OD gear set for the 833, which is supposed to be a good setup. I bought one to resurrect my 18 spline tranny but don't have any run time on it yet. Google Passon performance.

I don't think my 360 puts out any more than 245 hp or so. The heads have been decked and it has a mild cam. I need to find one of these a833od transmissions.

I had an aluminum case overdrive 4-speed in my 76 Aspen. Look at mid-70s Dusters and Darts plus any year Aspens and Volares.

The give away is one of the levers is flipped upside down on the tranny. *Ithink* not all were aluminum cased. *I think* the early ones are iron. I'm not 100% sure on this exactness.

Thanks for your help. I've done some recent research. Apparently the front shaft bearing retainer is 5.125" in diameter which is bigger than the rest to add derability since it is not a "direct drive" unit like the A833 4 speed w/o OD. I didn't even know there was such a transmission till now though.

Not all that up on small blocks but the big blocks that came with an automatic trans were mostly not drilled deep enough or large enough o.d. and some are not even concentric. Other words, it's just a rough hole and rough drilling is not all that accurate. A drill can 'walk' a bit so you might have some run out with your pilot bushing. Cranks headed for stick cars were more precision machined back there....that's why you had to cut the o.d. down on your new bushing. Nice car btw....and who is the babe??

Thanks for your help. I've done some recent research. Apparently the front shaft bearing retainer is 5.125" in diameter which is bigger than the rest to add derability since it is not a "direct drive" unit like the A833 4 speed w/o OD. I didn't even know there was such a transmission till now though.

The large front bearing retainer is the same size as the 18 spline but is cut for the smaller 307 bearing. I don't think there is a huge difference in load rating between the two bearings (307 vs 308) so I wouldn't worry too much about that. The problem is not on the input side anyway.

The large front bearing retainer is the same size as the 18 spline but is cut for the smaller 307 bearing. I don't think there is a huge difference in load rating between the two bearings (307 vs 308) so I wouldn't worry too much about that. The problem is not on the input side anyway.

Actually the 18 spline bearing retainer is smaller than the OD retainer. 4.80" or something iirc.

Auto Transport Service
Back