• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

remember when ?

Young guys might not believe this. But in 1982 when I was shopping for my Charger, you looked in the newspaper and found good drivers for less then a grand.

In 1980 I bought a 71 Hemi Challenger for $400.00, 4 Spd, 4.10 Dana not running, engine apart but freshly machined with all the parts to put it together...

Re-mem-mem
Re-mem-mem-mem-ber
Re-mem-mem
Re-mem-mem-mem-ber
Re-mem-mem
Re-mem-mem-mem-ber
Then, then, remember then

WELL , here away from "the coasts" it was Midwest Specialties and soon followed by the 'Summit'. Machine shops all over that were very good, ( Otie's Automotive, Arfons, and of course Arlen Vanke)! Was truly a wonderful time all over the country!

We had Super Shops around here

51658832_10216775272485575_3299872336143974400_n.jpg

Any of you from iowa remember
Bill Couchs speed shop in Des Moines ?
& Lavertys in Carlilse ?
Couchs was left over from the 50s , in the 70s he still had flat head speed parts hanging on the wall.
They looked gold plated from all the cig smoke over the years.lol

Any of you from iowa remember
Bill Couchs speed shop in Des Moines ?
& Lavertys in Carlilse ?
Couchs was left over from the 50s , in the 70s he still had flat head speed parts hanging on the wall.
They looked gold plated from all the cig smoke over the years.lol
Laverty Performance? Here's Charley Malyuke .
I worked at Esco/Central States in Waterloo and managed Esco 2 in Cedar Falls.

image1-1.jpg 13312786_1182667441746523_1732023398506313971_n.jpg

Yep, Mike that's them, lol.
Thanks for posting up the pics. I used to buy parts from them 70s and 80s.
Small world. I'm going to copy and save that one.
Cool Esco pics also.
Back in the day.

img133.jpg img142.jpg

Re-mem-mem
Re-mem-mem-mem-ber
Re-mem-mem
Re-mem-mem-mem-ber
Re-mem-mem
Re-mem-mem-mem-ber
Then, then, remember then

My first thought was you might be having a stroke until I listened to the vid.....and heck, I don't even re-mem-mem-mem-ber them lol

Used to have a USA Speed locally until the only guy in the place had and heart attack and died. He was pretty much the only place around here that stocked Mopar stuff even though it was mostly a Chevy place. But he would order whatever I needed if it wasn't in stock without me having to go pay for it first. After that shop closed down, Clear Lake Speed, was the next place to trade with but the owner was a tight wad so I tried to always deal with his new at the time wife instead because her husband wanted me to drive the 15 miles to the dang store and she would order for me without having to do that. She was the widow of another racer that got killed at the old Houston track when his Corvette rolled over and she married another Corvette guy....Lindley Isonhood (class and .90 racer) was her new husband and David Baker was the one that passed on from the crash. Don't know if anyone here ever heard of them but they were both well known around these parts. A 3 minute vid of the old Houston track a lot of years ago and before delay boxes and all of that electronic junk....

And don’t forget that used to when you went to the parts house the guy not woman knew what you wanted and gave pretty good advice and was usually smoking a cigarette or cigar

Auto Transport Service
Back