• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remember when?

00 70s.jpg

I certainly do . . .

Great pic of the Super Bird.
I’m an old guy. My
First thought was that picture is not 1970. As a kid I remember my dad routinely buying gas for 24-25 cents per gallon, filling up our old dodge truck with camper.

I was born way too late for those great years.

But you youngsters, all of you, were born right on time to enjoy your own great years! Of course, owning and driving a classic Mopar can make any year a great year, no matter when you were born.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, you guys were lucky! Fast cars, cheap gas, easy girls!
Sweet girls, not necessarily easy girls.
My old boss was about 10-12 years older than me. One day I commented about how great it must have been to grow up in his time....slutty hippie chicks and free love.
He basically rebuffed it all.
Pffft.....you had to marry them to get "any" was the jist of his tone.
I suspect that he just didn't have the proper skills to pick up chicks.

The days of cruising all night. Then doing it again the following night was awesome. Everytime was like the first time never got old. Then it took all week to get ready for the next friday.miss thise days.
Oh my, we lived for the start of the weekend, probably started on Thursday or maybe Wednesday depending on the weather, never realizing back then we could be dead by Sunday. When two cars caught that red light, oh the rush of adrenaline, the smell of exhaust and burning rubber. Did I mention the girls?
I imported this item from DC.com. It was posted by me with the newspaper clippings I saved of what it was like for the Residents of the City back in the summer of 78'.
The way it was back in the day, 1978

Last edited:
My Era too class of 77' baby
I remember filling my Taco-44 Minibike up
for a Quarter... $0.25 cents, for a gal of reg.
I'd collect coke bottles, to get gas,
before the Gas Wars
when I got my permit/licence, gas prices double, then trippled,
went to over $0.59 cents a gal. reg. overnight, then 1974-ish IIRC,
in a years/maybe 2-3 years timeframes 1976-78-ish or so
(Jimmy Carter era) it was $0.99 cents org. for a gallon for reg. or more
$1.09 for Union 76 Ethel/Premium, that I ran in my 68 Charger R/T
by Nov. 1980 (I was 21) it was like $1.59 for the same fuel, rurally
US buying oil/crude mostly from Saudi's (OPEC ?)
Hey Budnicks, Class of 77' here also.
The Tassels are still hanging from the rearview mirror, Oh and my CB handle is "The Hangman" I can still rattle off my call letters and numbers.
DSC02278.JPG

Last edited:
Great pic of the Super Bird.
I’m an old guy. My
First thought was that picture is not 1970. As a kid I remember my dad routinely buying gas for 24-25 cents per gallon, filling up our old dodge truck with camper.
Your memory serves you well.
There were independent/cut rate stations
that had regular gas for .18 cents/gallon.
I remember my dad, with his '59 Olds
Delta 88 filling up for around $6.00.
This was in Santa Rosa, California., 1970.
After doing some searching on the great
wide web; I found this.
"The average price of gasoline in 2005 was $2.31 per gallon. In 1993, the average price was $1.07. "
Open to debate, I'm sure.
Nice pic of the winged car.

Last edited:
Amazing how some things just stick in your memory. I remember vividly one night 50 years ago, we were returning from Jacksonville. Back then on US-1 there was almost no traffic at night. My father in law was driving his 1970 roadrunner, I was in the passenger seat and my wife, mother in law and baby daughter were in the back. We stopped for a traffic signal and a couple of guys pulled up next to us. The driver started revving his engine wanting to race. The light turned green and off we went. Pulling ahead of the other car, my mother in law screaming, your granddaughter’s back here, slow down! Ah, the good old days.
Edit. Mentioning the story to my wife, she says yeah and my little brother was with us too. Well, almost vivid memory.

Last edited:
Hey Budnicks, Class of 77' here also.
The Tassels are still hanging from the rearview mirror, Oh and my CB handle is "The Hangman" I can still rattle off my call letters and numbers.
View attachment 1325639
My Green & Silver 'Ponderosa Bruins Class of 77' graduation tassel
was pilfered IIRC from my MG (convertible) mirror, way back in like 1981-82-ish

what a thing to steal, means nothing to them
wasn't even in the same town, some 200+ miles west of where I graduated

Same as post #22 above, but different caption….

87B23A50-A9FC-40CE-9DEB-16E31A4E75B7.jpeg

BTW - Are you sure you’re only 25? I‘ve never met anyone your age or even 10+ years older that seems to be as in tune as you are. Yes - you deserve a time machine experience just because ….
X2,
You remind me of someone I once knew. You never know, someday you may get a gift that many will think you deserve and some may be able to give. Don't change and remember, some here will always have your back. You have become part of the time machine experience just because ….

Auto Transport Service
Back