• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remembering what IS important in life

It is curious how we all give this thought and have our slants. My dad became less to do with religion as he got older, thinking it nonsense. I found a note in his wallet he must have written some years before by the looks of it. He gave his wants on what to do with his remains already referring to his ‘corpse’. No service, no priest, cremation, and do whatever with his ashes. Well he had outlived all of his friends anyway except one living 2,000 miles away that was over a decade younger. My father-in-law was totally opposite, very religious going to mass nearly every day eventually succumbing to prostate cancer. Both men you’d find admirable in life, a friend, true gentlemen, military vet’s, and incredibly capable with all things mechanical, woodworking, etc. I was blessed knowing them.

Where am I on this; no surprise…sort a in-between. There’s a view I got of my dad (and few years later, my mom) lying deceased in their hospital beds…staring at them for a moment telling them how much I love ‘em grabbing their hand, kissing my mom on her forehead, and of course they’re gone. Life with them flashes by, all the years remembering their strength, capabilities, accomplishments, their love for me. It’s hard to think of ALL this is just gone? My dad and I had a chat maybe 10 years before he passed when he said “There can’t be a God, he wouldn’t let this happen”. We were watching a sad doc about starving children in an oppressed nation. I replied “But think about this, mankind could stop this; we have the ability, just that in this case, their government was hugely corrupt”. Then added “God gave man free will, right?” By the look on his face I think he gave that consideration.

As I get older, the thing that’s actually sort of comforting in the hope there’s more than just death is if I’m wrong…I won’t know it either way.

I'm a non believer....but I'm not afraid of death....I was when I was young but it passed. I think of it this way....remember what it was like before your were born....? No?...well it will be exactly the same after you die!

I'm a non believer....but I'm not afraid of death....I was when I was young but it passed. I think of it this way....remember what it was like before your were born....? No?...well it will be exactly the same after you die!
I remember the saying - there are no atheist's in fox holes. I can't say when death comes a knocking how I'll feel how ever that may arrive...those dropping over or killed instantly have an advantage here I suppose. My 94 year old father, at the advice of the doc's (I'd still like to smack) recommended to us he be placed in-patient hospice after surgery on a bowel obstruction he was recouping from. They said C-scans discovered spots on his kidneys and a lung they assumed was cancer. He was placed into a morphine stupor they said would take 2 or 3 days for him to pass. WDF, it was 11 days laying there no food, only a wet sponge stick due to his open mouth drying out. Got into some heady debate with the doc's and my family saying this isn't right. Well my dad was real particular on his privacy and terms. After we all spent those days with him waiting...he picked the time to pass in about the 15 minute window when none of us were there.

Auto Transport Service
Back