• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remove 4-spd transmission

Is the housing close enough that you can put a couple of bolts in? I had to pull my tranny/engine together. Slid in nicely. Just maybe a bit on the tight side for the pinion bearing?

Tried again this evening, still cant get the input shaft into the disk/pilot bearing,
I took the trans down again to have a look, everything look good as far as I know,
View attachment 254624
looks like it should be fine, I cant understand whats the problem,
the angel cant be that far of as I´m using guide pins to guide the trans into position..

Is my "trans jack" not good enought to position the trans, shouldnt matter though since I use the guide pins..
View attachment 254636

I havent tried the "depress the clutch" method yet, sounds a bit risky, what if it doesent work, wont you be
forced to remove the clutch to do the aligning all over..If the disk "fall" out of place i mean..
Dont know what to do..

/Linus

If it gets out of position,just have your helper depress the clutch while you stab it with your alignment tool.

Is the housing close enough that you can put a couple of bolts in? I had to pull my tranny/engine together. Slid in nicely. Just maybe a bit on the tight side for the pinion bearing?

ok well I don't know, would think that it would go without force..
Isn´t there a risk you might damage the splines on the disk if you force it..?

/L

- - - Updated - - -

If it gets out of position,just have your helper depress the clutch while you stab it with your alignment tool.

Yes that's true, didn't think of that, might just try it then,

Then maybe you could try to "re-align" the disk with the clutch on, if you cant get the trans in, like in my case...?

/L

- - - Updated - - -

man the guidepost idea is awesome. how long did u make yours?

I´d say they´re about 160 mm, that's about 6 inches..i think

/L

You are sure that part of the tranny or shifter is not hitting your tunnel---hard to see up there. When you use the guide pins , are you looking at the gap from the side to assure you are square with the bellhousing?. Sometimes you have to wiggle and push from the back of the tailhousing to get it all the way in. Never try to draw the tranny to the bellhouse with tightening down the bolts....................................MO

.......... Sometimes you have to wiggle and push from the back of the tailhousing to get it all the way in. Never try to draw the tranny to the bellhouse with tightening down the bolts....................................MO

This^^^^^^^Unless you're trying to break the mounting holes of the trans.

If the clutch release trick don't work, re-align the disc as stated previously.

I use them but your guide pins may be (since you can't twist the trans) indirectly helping prevent input shaft spline engagement with the disc if it's not indexed close enough to slide in. Once the nose of the input shaft is in the pilot bushing and on your guide pins, secure a vice-grip on an upper pin (so the trans can't slide back) and remove the jack.
It may be necessary to turn the input shaft a bit or even back and forth a bit while pushing the trans forward and/or up and down slightly with the trans in gear. This is another place a spare yolk on the output shaft could help you turn the shaft and push at the same time. Once you can get your bolts started 4 or 5 threads, continue pushing the trans forward "wiggling" the trans and tighten the bolts by hand as you go.

Hope this helps.

This^^^^^^^Unless you're trying to break the mounting holes of the trans.

If the clutch release trick don't work, re-align the disc as stated previously.

I use them but your guide pins may be (since you can't twist the trans) indirectly helping prevent input shaft spline engagement with the disc if it's not indexed close enough to slide in. Once the nose of the input shaft is in the pilot bushing and on your guide pins, secure a vice-grip on an upper pin (so the trans can't slide back) and remove the jack.
It may be necessary to turn the input shaft a bit or even back and forth a bit while pushing the trans forward and/or up and down slightly with the trans in gear. This is another place a spare yolk on the output shaft could help you turn the shaft and push at the same time. Once you can get your bolts started 4 or 5 threads, continue pushing the trans forward "wiggling" the trans and tighten the bolts by hand as you go.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Daves69, i´ve read youre post several times, I think it will help a lot! I will go at it again tomorrow, Hopefully I´ll be more succesfull than previously!
Thanx!

/Linus

Finally success!
The depress clutch method worked fine!
Thanks everybody for youre tips and advise,really good to have.
The weekend is saved, just a light press on the clutch pedal and wiggle the input shaft a bit with trans I gear
as stated earlier!
IMG_1497.JPG

/linus

Auto Transport Service
Back