• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing a reverse manual valve body

ws27

Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
I'm buying a car with a reverse manual valve body and I'd like to go back to stock. Does anyone know if this is something I can convert back to stock or if I have to replace the whole valve body?

Sorry, it's a 66 727.

If I remember there is an extra hole drilled in body& a wall taken out, replace the whole body.

You will need a valve body and complete kick down linkage and pivots.
Doug

Thanks guys, I'll have to find some extra parts.

I like manual valve bodies.....how hard is it to convert it to a straight shift?

Cranky never really got into that, I sold my 'race' trans & rebuilt another torqueflite I picked up from somewhere. I think I put in a TF-1 kit in it because it shifts pretty darn quick when manually shifting it(it's been a long time ago)!

Cranky my previous answer wasn't correct for your question--- just swap out to a normal valve body.(my manual setup just felt/sounded like the whole drivetrain would lay on the pavement when it shifted(on street driving)) I always marvel at the power that a torqueflite will handle. Originally engineered for 240hp I believe.

Oh and refer to doug's post also; need the k/d linkage for sure.

The k/d linkage is what I like to get rid of!! Been years since running an auto on the street but even with a stock trans, I manually shifted it and still do.

Yeah but the trans still needs to see throttle position for throttle position. Sounds like it's time for a 4-spd!!!!! IF your left leg can handle all the up&down!!!! It gets old pretty quick!

I got everything you need - clean oem valvebody and kick down assembly. PM sent

When a trans is built with a manual valve body, is anything else done to the trans, like passages plugged, removal of governors, etc. Something to know .

Could be, depends more on the intent of the tranny rebuild more than what the valve body needs, though some valvebody builders recommend certain upgrades to servos etc. in conjunction with their VBs.

How does it drive?

Could be, depends more on the intent of the tranny rebuild more than what the valve body needs, though some valvebody builders recommend certain upgrades to servos etc. in conjunction with their VBs.

How does it drive?
Mine works fine. I have a manual valve body also, and was also thinking of doing what the op wants to do, and was wondering if it's just a matter of swapping valve bodies, or is there more to it?

Auto Transport Service
Back