• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Pitting/Blemish from Hubcaps

1969VAGTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:36 AM
Reaction score
I am considering installing these factory hubcaps on my steel wheels for my GTX. I have a complete set of four. Two of the caps are in excellent condition. But two of the caps (pic 2 and 3) have pitting or blemishes (or whatever that is) on them. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to best remove these imperfections? Would a dremel do more harm than good? Simply scrubbing them with soap and water did nothing. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
F5248255-E5BA-4A54-821E-50457111DF87.jpeg

823F362A-69FE-4BCC-88DE-56A767A0D091.jpeg

3F403BD7-1216-4B23-A41E-5C2C17F42667.jpeg

A Dremel with a soft wire brush might be your best bet. Pitting can be cleaned but usually not removed. You might want to start a wanted thread and look of another nice pair to match your good ones.

Isn't that area thats pitted painted with the silver argent or black paint below those raised areas that are polished? If you can clean them up enough to get them flat or close to it and then mask them and repaint the argent portions, I bet they look damn good and you won't be able to see the areas you reworked unless you inspec them right up next to them with a damn fine tooth comb. I can't remember what color those are usually but it looks like an argent in the pics. It is definately a different color to offset those polished ribs.

Assuming they are steel, they may be flash chromed. I would be careful about aggressively polishing the shiny areas - if you go through the thin flash chrome they will always show a halo around the area. If that happens you pretty much have to buff it all off ( a lot of work) but the appearance will still vary from the others. It’s probably best to clean and detail what you have and keep an eye out for a couple nice used ones to pop up for sale.

Clean them up as much as possible, to use until you find another pair equal to your nice ones. Easy shopping for those at swap meets, and Carlisle is quickly approaching !!!

they were probably manufactured like that.
Put then on the car and only you will notice.

Look for 2 perfect ones.

those are stainless steel.

they were probably manufactured like that.
Put then on the car and only you will notice.

Look for 2 perfect ones.

those are stainless steel.
I believe they're aluminum. The early dog dish are s/s.

Dan... they are SS on the Plymouth Division caps The Dodge caps were aluminum and some were stainless steel. IMO, the Plymouth ones are the nicest caps on factory painted steel wheels.

Dan... they are SS on the Plymouth Division caps The Dodge caps were aluminum and some were stainless steel. IMO, the Plymouth ones are the nicest caps on factory painted steel wheels.
I'll stand corrected than. I was comparing those to mine, Thanks !
16821973347875976226923265648482.jpg

The picture you posted, is the next new style of hubcap Chrysler came out with, believe to be 1970, which would be, what I call the plain aluminum 9 inch dog dish hubcap. These where used on a wide variety of cars and trucks up into the 1980s, AFAIK. Please tell me, if I am wrong.

Isn't that area thats pitted painted with the silver argent or black paint below those raised areas that are polished? If you can clean them up enough to get them flat or close to it and then mask them and repaint the argent portions, I bet they look damn good and you won't be able to see the areas you reworked unless you inspec them right up next to them with a damn fine tooth comb. I can't remember what color those are usually but it looks like an argent in the pics. It is definately a different color to offset those polished ribs.
They are in fact painted argent silver in those recesses. I will work on them without trying to over do it.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will in fact be at Carlisle so this will give me a reason to patrol through the swap meet area.

They are in fact painted argent silver in those recesses. I will work on them without trying to over do it.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will in fact be at Carlisle so this will give me a reason to patrol through the swap meet area.

Bet when you're done they look so good you will be happy with them. Some of that **** you will surprise yourself.

Secondary question - are the letters on the hubcaps supposed to be painted black and not argent silver? The color in the letters looks darker than the paint along the outer edge of the caps.

Auto Transport Service
Back