• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repair or replace? (hope this is the correct forum..)

icetech

Local time
9:41 AM
Reaction score
so, i bit the bullet and started cutting rust out of the trunk on my 62, it's just small spots 2x3" or so over the boxes the rear spring hangers are in (not sure the exact name of the part) So.. when i removed the rusty trunk floor, the box was full of scale, i vacuumed it out and it's not great, most of the box passes the screw driver test but about 4 spots opened up to about a nickle hole, the plate at the front of the box that runs perpendicular is rock solid, so.. I don't think i have the skill to replace that box, i am thinking of cutting some plate to put inside the box since i have access to it to fix the thing areas. This car is just going to be a driver with a 318, so no mega power or car shows just want it solid, hoping someone might have some input..
Second thing.. i plant to remove the rear end to replace bushings and wirewheel/paint the underside of the car, Any tricks to getting the top shackle bolt out? i haven't tried yet but i epect it to be froze in there.
Thanks guys, heres a pic

P.S. if i do save the box, what rust convertor/encapsulator do you guys use or trust?

IMG_20220605_171025.jpg
IMG_20220605_171017.jpg

I'm no expert here, but I do know this much....when you find some rust, there is generally a bit more that you cannot see. I would be looking to see how bad the spread is first before diving in to repair a small piece at a time.

Rust is like an iceberg.......only 10% of it is visible without diving in to see more. :rolleyes:

I'm no expert here, but I do know this much....when you find some rust, there is generally a bit more that you cannot see. I would be looking to see how bad the spread is first before diving in to repair a small piece at a time.

Rust is like an iceberg.......only 10% of it is visible without diving in to see more. :rolleyes:

Yeah, on this car is seems to mostly be inside the frame pieces, the main frame seems solid so far... but will see once i start cleaning it.. :) I just have never done this type of stuff before, rather learn from others mistakes than make my own

As you scope out other threads, you'll find the subjects in question being covered. You are in good hands here.

Weld it up. Been there. My racecar had a couple small spots. Just make sure to get the thin stuff cut off. No big deal. This car leaves wheels up every pass. Going on year 10.
Doug

Weld it up. Been there. My racecar had a couple small spots. Just make sure to get the thin stuff cut off. No big deal. This car leaves wheels up every pass. Going on year 10.
Doug

Thanks, yeah.. i did searching and can't find that part anyway... going to totally uncover the whole box and reinforce the inside and then clean up the outside.. as long as it's solid.. I just wish i could get into the rear frame rails themselves to clean and stop the rust, i'm sure i will get that chance soon enough though, no matter how nice a car is always expect 5 times the work :)

I have purchased many cans of Eastwoods internal frame coating for my cars. How long it lasts?
Mike

I have purchased many cans of Eastwoods internal frame coating for my cars. How long it lasts?
Mike
I don't know, i'm going to use cerroseal (or something like that, don't know the correct spelling right now) on the inside of the 2 rear boxes since i will have them open, using rusoleum rust reformer under the floor after i clean it (it's solid just surface rust), then i will brush paint on normal rustoleum black enamel for finish, the stuff dries like cement and lasts forever. It's how we used to do it when were were like 18 cleaning chevelle frames. Won't be "Correct" but will last :)

Auto Transport Service
Back