• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replace fan switch on '73 Charger

Charger Fan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:52 AM
Reaction score
Need to replace fan switch. From underneath the instrument panel it appears to be attached to the A/C control switch and looks like the easiest way and may be the only way to get to the fan switch is to remove the A/C control switch. Looks like there are two nuts, one on either side of the A/C switch that hold it to the backside of the instrument panel. I'm thinking if I remove those two nuts the A/C switch with the fan switch attached can be backed out to gain access to the fan switch. Has anyone done this before? Any insight would be appreciated.

image0[520].jpeg

Those two nuts and there is also a metal bracket attached to the rear with a screw that keeps if from flopping up and down. It should drop right out for you. Pull your drivers seat so you can lay on the floor, makes it easier.

T2R9 is correct. Definitely take out the seat. I just did this back in May. You may also need to unplug the connection to the fan switch module. You can also remove just the fan switch
module if you pull out the complete heater a/c control panel. You can see the fan switch module just to the right of the heater a/c control switch module. Try not to use the gas pedal as a pillow. Check with the Parts Guy in Tampa for a rebuild.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
I‘m 6 ft high, around 187 lb and never have removed the seat to make any job down the dash LOL

You can actually take these switches apart by folding back the tabs on the back. Unless it’s broken internally you can clean the contacts and reuse it. Last I remember this switch was a little pricey. I picked up an extra control assembly to rebuild as many of the parts as I could to see it it could be done. Most of the parts can actually be fixed and not just replaced.

Yep, but if points are worn could be there is no chance to make them work nicely :/

or if bakelite board is wavy

BTDT

Auto Transport Service
Back