• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replace intake on 383

maddart

Local time
8:20 AM
Reaction score
Hi
I am going to put an edelbrock 7186 or weiand 8008 on my 383 in the 67 cnet. Do i need to replace the valley pan at the same time or are there just intake gaskets to replace? The engine has about 400 miles on it, so the valley pan is relatively new.

Last edited:
take the intake and valley pan off, clean the intake and the heads. You can re-use the valley pan. I don't use the gaskets, I find they leak. I just use some RTV on both sides of the valley pan, re-install.

Run a very small bead if you use RTV......

I always used the purple Permatex stuff that you apply with a brush on the valley pans.
I think with Aluminum intakes its said to be better with the paper / fiber type gaskets though isn't it? I see they sell the pan with fiber gaskets included for this application. Mine doesn't use a valley pan intake gasket, so I have to use the fiber / paper type.

I have found that you can't add any gaskets to the valley pan and have the intake fit. Like it says above, use some sealer on the existing valley pan and put it back together.

permatex on the intake ports and rtv on the valley pan holddown areas is what i use.

Auto Transport Service
Back