• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replace the roof or not! HELP

BAFRAID

She’s looking like a Super Bee again!!
Local time
7:01 AM
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I’ve been going back-and-forth for the last few months looking at my roof and drip rails and trying to determine if it’s rusted enough to replace the entire roof or if I should work with what I’ve got. I recently got the patch panels between the quarters and the roof skin done. Looking at the drip rails now and realizing I should just replace the entire piece versus patch parts in. Here’s a few pictures. Just wondering if I could get a couple opinions on whether to save this roof or just cut it off and put a new skin on? The front edge of the roof skin is in great condition. On the rear side upper left has a nice hole. The driver side front 6 to 8 inches between the roof skin and the drip rail also are pretty bad. Otherwise the main area of the roof is in really good shape.

Lots of work either way. Some of it depends on you personally. Like to do detail and nit picky stuff or bigger projects etc. Also, source / quality of the replacement roof?

Lots of work either way. Some of it depends on you personally. Like to do detail and nit picky stuff or bigger projects etc. Also, source / quality of the replacement roof?
I appreciate your reply. I’m actually comfortable just patching what I have. It’s one trap I try not to fall into while redoing this car is getting my mind stuck on it having to be absolutely perfect show quality. I’ll do my best but it’s going to be a daily driver. It will also have a vinyl top which will hide quite a bit as well.

I appreciate your reply. I’m actually comfortable just patching what I have. It’s one trap I try not to fall into while redoing this car is getting my mind stuck on it having to be absolutely perfect show quality. I’ll do my best but it’s going to be a daily driver.
I’m with you. I’d do the patches and not the wholesale project.

From the work Ive seen so far that you have done I think you would be good with the patches.Why do a roof skin if its in good shape. Plus your putting a vinyl roof on.

Hell it doesn't rain in CA, cut off the gutters. Customizers do it all the time.
Mike

I'd patch it, doesn't look too bad. It's nice to keep as much original metal that's feasible.

Patch that sucker, piece in the drip rails as needed. Don't create more work than necessary. Been there, done that!

Auto Transport Service
Back