• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement VIN tag for a 1966 Coronet

superbird6bbl

Local time
12:18 PM
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the correct area but I have a 1966 Coronet 440 that I purchased 10 years ago and I have the Title but the seller couldn't remember what happened to the VIN tag for the driver's door. I have just been racing the car so I didn't try to get the Title transferred to my name. Does anyone know if I can get a replacement made since I have the Title and the original Sheetmetal is still on the car?

FL DMV only asks for a VIN inspection for out of state cars coming in.

I don't know if this is the correct area but I have a 1966 Coronet 440 that I purchased 10 years ago and I have the Title but the seller couldn't remember what happened to the VIN tag for the driver's door. I have just been racing the car so I didn't try to get the Title transferred to my name. Does anyone know if I can get a replacement made since I have the Title and the original Sheetmetal is still on the car?
Yes, search ebay. It's really not a big deal. There are places even include the rivets.

No rivets in 66.

The big question is how to adhere a replacement, provided you can get one.

No rivets in 66.

Mine has rivets holding the vin tag on in the door jamb. Both of my 66s do.

No rivets in 66.

Rivets in 66.
ID numbers 068.JPG

Definitely rivets in the 1966MY.

Hmmm

Now I need to go to the garage.

There was a guy on here that had a handful of rivets from the factory. I couldn't find the for sale thread on it.

My 65 Dodge weld on VIN tag posted 66 riveted VIN tag earlier.

Just a note about those rivets. They are rosette rivets and I’ve seen them for sale on eBay with no idea how that is possible. I’m a police officer in Michigan and here it is a felony to possess rosette rivets like that….

Just a note about those rivets. They are rosette rivets and I’ve seen them for sale on eBay with no idea how that is possible. I’m a police officer in Michigan and here it is a felony to possess rosette rivets like that….
What is the ordinance for that? I'd like to read it.

Michigan Legislature - Section 750.415

Section 5 specifically talks about rosette rivets. The idea is they are only intended to be used by the factory. A regular rivet should be used when a tag is replaced for any reason
It's pretty specific. I suppose that is vecause so many factory workers have acess to them? But it seems the spirit of that law is to prevent defrauding a buyer or converting a stolen car. I get it.

I have to believe you are correct on all counts. Likely used as a way to deter fraud in the factory and the large vehicle theft operations that still exist around here. I have no idea if any other states have a similar law on the books

I'll add here,

the rivets used on 66-67 are different ( larger and stainless ) than the ones used on 68 and later which are smaller and black e coated

Auto Transport Service
Back