• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing Ampmeter

Cloned

Local time
11:57 PM
Reaction score
how do you get the speedometer assembly out of the dash? Does the lower dash padding come off or is it glued on? I have the switch panel mostly off but seems to be stuck on the padding. I took out every screw that was visible on the dash. What am I missing?

These dashes are a PITA as your finding out.....I remove all switches from the backside....Then spray some silicone type spray around the edge of the switch panel and pad. Push from the backside on the far driver side end of the switch panel...Key thing DO NOT pull the perimeter of the pad or you will distort it and it will no go back...Once the panel is removed then remove the screws on the pad attaching the pad to the cluster...Then remove the pad nuts on the back side, remove pad...All that is left is the top two screws of the cluster....

This is when you wish every dash was a raylle.....versus a non raylle

Like Justin said, rotate & push a little at a time.. Gotta love the rallye dashes for removal. Maybe drop the steering column down to seat might make it a little easier? I've got a rallye so can't really say.

Finally got it out. Now what? Clean connections or bypass it. Do they make replacement ampmeters?

remove the ampeter , i did in my car and put a volt gauge , rewire it so that the power from alternator goes directly to battery like it should

I'd bypass it. My experience has been that it is more trouble than it's worth.

Auto Transport Service
Back