• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing axle bearings

67 B-body

Local time
9:59 AM
Reaction score
During an inspection of the rear end a few weeks ago, I noticed that the axles / wheels had a lot of "in/out" slop. I took everything apart and tried adjusting the axle adjuster on the passenger side. It didn't seem to even work, as if it were stripped out or something... I have a feeling that the center section I put in a few years ago never had the button in it for the axle adjustment to even work in the first place....
I bought the Moser kit to replace everything and also eliminate the need for the adjuster. I know there are a lot of people with strong opinions on this bearing arrangement on both sides of the fence.... I figured that with the miles I put on it a year, and the slow cornering speeds I have.... They will last a long time! They have to be better than the 45 year old bearings I just removed!
My 3 year Old and I pulled things apart this morning, removed the old axle seals, replaced the seals, and will be pressing the bearings down this afternoon.
She was sitting on the creeper handling the trash bag as I wiped the old grease out of the axle housing..

Attachments

• 557912_10200553541657358_1353787815_n.jpg
    557912_10200553541657358_1353787815_n.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 300
  • 1098517_10200553546737485_2091357867_n.jpg
    1098517_10200553546737485_2091357867_n.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 318
  • 27268_10200553552217622_627559153_n.jpg
    27268_10200553552217622_627559153_n.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 309
Great little helper.....The Plane , The Plane in the back ground. Photo Please....

I just had the discussion about green bearings with Cass/DrDiff. He said at one point the bearing design changed and now they are fine and should last a long time. That's what I'm putting on my car next week. There is apparently a problem with Wilwood rear disc conversion, though, that you should be aware of if you plan on upgrading in the future.

Your daughter is very cute. I bet she's a lot of help and inspiration.

Great & cute little helper, you got there...

Well, I believe there are two planes in the background in the one picture.

in the air.jpgIMAG1166.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Good news is, I got the axles put back in today too! It must not have had the spacer "button" in the diff, because the axle flange on both sides mounted flush to the axle housing. No more play in the axles now!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I just had the discussion about green bearings with Cass/DrDiff. He said at one point the bearing design changed and now they are fine and should last a long time. That's what I'm putting on my car next week. There is apparently a problem with Wilwood rear disc conversion, though, that you should be aware of if you plan on upgrading in the future.

Your daughter is very cute. I bet she's a lot of help and inspiration.

I wonder what the difference would be regarding Willwood conversion with Green bearings.? I didnt notice any difference after assembly from before.....

Great!

You don't need the thrust block/button with the green bearings, just need it for the roller bearings to properly adjust the end play.

Regarding the Wilwood brakes and green axle bearings, there's a lot of discussion on moparts forum or moparchat, I forget which.

I just jacked up the car and ran it in third gear @ high idle this evening.... I didn't detect any type of noise or heat coming from the bearings, so I guess all is well!
However, it is rather hard to hear much of anything over the erratic crackling exhaust sound... LOL

most of the aftermarket rear disc brake systems, say that they require the Green Bearings, except for some Dr. Diff's....

Auto Transport Service
Back