• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing rear brakes and saw this. Axle seal leaking?

Charger68Rick

Local time
11:01 AM
Reaction score
I'm replacing brakes and wheel cylinders all the way around on my 68 Charger project. All went well until I got to the drivers side rear and saw this. I don't believe the wheel cylinder was leaking but it's hard to say because the car sat for 20 years. Does this look like the axle seal is bad? I also have heard there is a vent that could be plugged. I thought about cleaning it all up and driving it and then checking it after a few miles. Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

axle1.jpg

axle2.jpg

axle3.jpg

axle4.jpg

axle5.jpg

axle6.jpg

It could be all the above. Get a drain pan and a can or two of Brake Clean and make it look like new. Put it back together, drive it a short while and take it apart to look. You should be able to see where the leak is coming from. There is a inner seal that is easy to replace with the axle out and a outer seal that you have to take the bearing off the axle to replace.
Dr Diff can supply the parts you need.

Car sat for twenty years.... Axle seal may or may not be leaking, if it is you might get grease embedded in your new brake shoes... Generally they can be cleaned up as long as the grease doesn't soak in... But the wheel cylinder if it's leaking means you might not stop... Wheel cylinders are cheap, 68 Charger grills are expensive.... But not nearly as expensive as pedestrians...

Personally I would pull the axles, replace the inner seals on both sides... Pack the bearings & replace the wheel cylinders... Total cost probably $60.. Knowing stuff is safe? Priceless....

That axle adjuster plate doesn't belong on the drivers side...
Sure enough. But yet still appears to have left hand studs.. wonder if someone switched plates on a re-bearing job.

What is the bad part about leaving the axle adjuster on the drivers side for now? I'm thinking I will continue on with the brakes/wheel cylinders for now, clean it all up and drive it for a short time. I have so many other things to do but at least I'm getting close to starting the engine and then seeing if it will go in to gear. Anyone have a pic of the vent and how to remove/clean it out? Thanks for the reply's. LOVE this forum.

What is the bad part about leaving the axle adjuster on the drivers side for now? I'm thinking I will continue on with the brakes/wheel cylinders for now, clean it all up and drive it for a short time. I have so many other things to do but at least I'm getting close to starting the engine and then seeing if it will go in to gear. Anyone have a pic of the vent and how to remove/clean it out? Thanks for the reply's. LOVE this forum.
The vent is the hollow bolt that goes throught the block for the flex line on the top of the rear axle.
Just be sure to clean off the area surrounding it first so you don't get dirt in the hole when you take it off.
1668864367560.png

That axle adjuster plate doesn't belong on the drivers side...
Good eye Wayne. I'm sure it has nothing to do with his issue, but shouldn't be on that side. Previous owner Chevy guy working on a Mopar?

It would be a simple operation to pop that axle out and see if there is any gear oil in the bearing. It's also good time to pop in a new seal and repack the bearing. You can also switch the axles at this time although I cant see any problem with leaving them as they are. Just make sure you end play is correct....LK

It would be a simple operation to pop that axle out and see if there is any gear oil in the bearing. It's also good time to pop in a new seal and repack the bearing. You can also switch the axles at this time although I cant see any problem with leaving them as they are. Just make sure you end play is correct....LK
I wouldn't swap the axles, that would put the LH threaded studs on the passenger side...

I would be curious as to the answer to that question too, knowing the adjuster belongs on the right side and left hand lugs on the left side. I assumed the axle lengths were the same but never bothered to measure them. Any reason it has to be on the right side just out of curiosity?

I would be curious as to the answer to that question too, knowing the adjuster belongs on the right side and left hand lugs on the left side. I assumed the axle lengths were the same but never bothered to measure them. Any reason it has to be on the right side just out of curiosity?
Definitely a learning process here. I would love to get everything back to factory but I have so much to do that it will just have to work itself out. It sure is a fun project so far!

Doesn't matter which side the adjuster is, just makes it apparent someone's been there..

I just had a rear axle weep oil on long trips because it had a clogged vent. Remove the vent and check it, although I suspect it's a rare event.

I just had a rear axle weep oil on long trips because it had a clogged vent. Remove the vent and check it, although I suspect it's a rare event.
I took it out today. The whole axle was covered in dirt and grime but I cleaned everything up and reinstalled the vent. Time will tell if it was the culprit. Thanks for the reply!

Sure enough. But yet still appears to have left hand studs.. wonder if someone switched plates on a re-bearing job.
Someone probably did a bearing job and didn't pay attention to the wheels studs being left handed when they slipped the retaining flange on that axle. Wouldn't be the first time for that to happen. At least they didn't do what Freiburger did and totally forgot the flange and installed the bearing then cut the flange in half to fit around the axle when they noticed it lol

The vent is the hollow bolt that goes throught the block for the flex line on the top of the rear axle.
Just be sure to clean off the area surrounding it first so you don't get dirt in the hole when you take it off.
View attachment 1375320
Got it all cleaned up and put back in. Can't wait to get the whole undercarriage power washed!

VENT.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back