• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

repro tach wiring,

68gtx

Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
bought a repro tach for my gtx , has anyone wired one of these in , mine came with no istructions,

not for a 68.....70 i have

see if you can get the directions on their website

I recently wired my '68 Charger, which has the 440, but mine was a tic-toc-tac. Most tachometers are similar, one wire for the power going to the fuse box and the other going to the coil which was the - negative side for mine. Depends on the tach, there could be another wire for the light. Hope this helps.

I bought mine from year one for my 69 roadrunner.blue wire goes to the fuse block and black goes to the neg side of the coil,I plugged the orange wire for the light into the 3 way plug where the radio and the ash tray light plug into.I had an extra socket and that is where the wireing diagram for the car said it was supposed to go,light works with thw dash lights.if you didnt get a wireing harness with it they sell them at yearone.

Not sure about 68's but for the '70 they have a harness that hooks up the tach to the fuse box as mentioned here, and the other wire going to the tach.

I bought mine from year one for my 69 roadrunner.blue wire goes to the fuse block and black goes to the neg side of the coil,I plugged the orange wire for the light into the 3 way plug where the radio and the ash tray light plug into.I had an extra socket and that is where the wireing diagram for the car said it was supposed to go,light works with thw dash lights.if you didnt get a wireing harness with it they sell them at yearone.

well wired my tach up today and i think it os no good,. black wire to negative side of coil, other blue wire to ign in fuse box, car wont start, unplug tach wire to coil car runs , plug it in and car dies... any ideas anyone? back side of tach says coil at one stud and ign on other , pretty straight forward i think, tach buggered?

The only thing that comes to mind, see if the tach term. is isolated from the housing.
There should be a rubber/plastic bushing so your not grounding the coil when it's attached.
Your tach right now is a very effective kill switch!!!

You sure that its wired correct?Any tach i have ever hooked up generally the black is ground and the blue or green goes to the coil.Sounds to me like your grounding out the coil thus killing the engine.

well wired my tach up today and i think it os no good,. black wire to negative side of coil, other blue wire to ign in fuse box, car wont start, unplug tach wire to coil car runs , plug it in and car dies... any ideas anyone? back side of tach says coil at one stud and ign on other , pretty straight forward i think, tach buggered?

X2

Black goes to a good ground

White possibly to light power

Red to power source

Green to coil neg side

These connections are for a Sun tach, from their instructions. You didn't say what your tach was, or if it was used or not, but it sounds like you might be missing a wire or two.

http://sunpro.com/publish/2004/08/05/pdf_english_16325.pdf

Last edited:
my tach is a repro tach thats fits inside the cluster, it only has two studs to hook wires to, it is also on a plastic body.. cant see it grounding through the plastic body... on the two studs one says ign the other says coil.. i thought that was pretty straight forward... i also think it is grounding the coil , but to what? and how?ill pop it out tomrorw and take a pic and put it on here, man what a pain it is to get thisd thing in and out..........

Stock ignition or aftermarket box? If aftermarket, tach usually hooks to a tab on the box instead of the coil (MSD as an example).

ign is a mopar performance electronic upgrade kit.

another 68 gtx

Hello 68GTX, my friend/inlaw has a restored 68 GTX(as well as two 68 Superbees) in Port Alberni, I have very nice 68 GTX runs 9.80s at 135mph @Mission I live in Victoria, a friend here also has 4-5 68 GTXs inculding two convertibles. I am now restoring a 69 RT convertible clone. I also have a 70 Charger with the Gator top.Nice to see other b-bodys in the hood !!! Peter.

Auto Transport Service
Back