• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduce a fender tag, Yes? No? Maybe???

Bart K

69 Coronet more door.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:03 PM
Reaction score
I am not looking to start a fight, but I am interested in different opinions on this subject. Some of you may be following the thread about a 1968 Superbee I am trying to buy: https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...rences-between-the-68-and-69-superbee.146909/ This car was stolen around 1970 and was gone for 2 weeks. Some dirt bikers found the car dumped in a forested area around Springfield, OR where the original owner lived and reported it to Police. It appears that the fender tag went missing during the time the car was stolen. If I end up buying the car, I am wondering what the rules and ethics are in terms of a reproduced fender tag if such a thing is even available. Is such a thing even available? Anyhow, I would like to hear from anyone who would like to share an opinion.

You can get a reproduced fender tag, it wont have inspector marks though. Make sure to fill it yourself so the company stamping it doesn't build it out for you and mess something up. I think its about 150 for one for a 69-74.

As far as the ethics, just don't lie on it. People will always complain, but if you want a tag, get one made for it. When you go to sell it, just be sure to tell the new owner that the tag was reproduced.

Just leave it off.
Once it’s gone, it’s gone!

You know the car is a real Superbee by the VIN.
Adding a fake tag just adds undue suspicion and doubt about an otherwise clean car.

Not all original fender tags had inspectors marks btw.....Reproduction ones are usually easily to spot.......

What makes the car original is what it actually has and not what you can replace......

Do you have a Build Sheet? If so than that is your fender tag and more on paper......

Depends.....

Are you the type of person that likes to spend good money on bad parts?

Would you spend $150 for a part that you knew was wrong for your car?
Would you spend the money on a part that would cause owners down the line to think you were a complete idiot?
Would you spend the money on a part that makes others question your honesty and integrity?

If yes, then please proceed with buying a phony tag.

I would like to get one for my GTX driver. It's a motstly orginal appearing car and I think it just makes the engine compartment look complete. I think a tag should be there, itsi getting so most stuff is reproduced any more so if you're paying for an unmolested car you better be on your toes from the get go.

That being said, where is the best place to get one?

Thanks

If you don’t have a build sheet, replacing a fender tag is a guessing game. Even if you know what options it came with. Do you know the build date? Do you know the order number? Was it ordered by a military member over seas? Built for USA specs? And different plants stamped tags differently.

When I was looking in 2010, I passed on a 68 charger, 4 speed car. Reproduction tag.

The car was found / “restored” by a fairly respected local mopar collector.

The car was orange and supposedly a bengal charger.....so the story went. There was indisputable remnants of original orange paint in several areas. The repop tag was color coded 999.

This was a clean, clean car! Super straight, crisp and clean interior, lots of NOS bits used and a 4 speed.

I passed as I just couldn’t get past the ambiguity and the prospect of always having to explain / justify the orange paint and the phony tag, and the realization that some day I would be selling this car and I’d have no provenance

It's your car, if you want a fender tag, have it made. Just remember, NEVER lie and pass your car off as something it's not. And like garrett1308 said, be honest to any future owners of that car.

It's your car, if you want a fender tag, have it made. Just remember, NEVER lie and pass your car off as something it's not. And like garrett1308 said, be honest to any future owners of that car.
The problem is he may be honest but the next seller may not.......

The reproductions are easy to spot and when the seller does not disclose it being a reproduction it just opens up a whole new can of worms......

I recently went through this situation with an A12 car.........Found out the fender tag was a reproduction and the block was a re-stamp......long story short someone believes they have an all numbers matching A12 in their garage and they do not......Just wrong...

This is why they should not be reproduced.........Once gone it is gone........

Unfortunately, fraud is part of our hobby.....

The problem is he may be honest but the next seller may not.......

The reproductions are easy to spot and when the seller does not disclose it being a reproduction it just opens up a whole new can of worms......

I recently went through this situation with an A12 car.........Found out the fender tag was a reproduction and the block was a re-stamp......long story short someone believes they have an all numbers matching A12 in their garage and they do not......Just wrong...

This is why they should not be reproduced.........Once gone it is gone........

Unfortunately, fraud is part of our hobby.....

I agree with you, but on the flip side; if you have a true numbers matching A12 complete with a build sheet but no fender tag, people will call "bullshit". The fraud in our hobby is sickening. When I moved to NC from NJ, I had my car shipped down. It has been titled in NJ since 2000, yet NC ran me through the ringer. Didn't trust NJ with a good clear title. I had to go through the State Bureau of Theft and do a complete background on my car. Even though it was CLEARLY my car. It took almost an entire year for my NC title to be issued. Fraud is prevalent, but if the man wants a fender tag, it's HIS car.

Couldn't disagree more with the "make a tag" concept. Once you create the fake tag it is fake for everyone else forever. You can only be "honest" about your dishonest tag once. The next 10 or 100 owners will assume it is a real tag (and be told it is by the next seller). You can't tell all future owners that it has been faked. You create 100 hundred future lies even "if" you are "honest".

Besides, you seriously hurt your own resale value. A fake tag belongs on this old Far Side cartoon, and you would be the guy on the bottom right.

e3e6f84e3b7026d8d3cddcb8f0603161.jpg

Depends.....

Are you the type of person that likes to spend good money on bad parts?

Would you spend $150 for a part that you knew was wrong for your car?
Would you spend the money on a part that would cause owners down the line to think you were a complete idiot?
Would you spend the money on a part that makes others question your honesty and integrity?

If yes, then please proceed with buying a phony tag.

but,but it doesn't look right without it! (and hopefully someone can get fooled by it)

fake is fake
once you cross the line, don't cry a river and act all self righteous later on when you get called on it.
when you do it,you are just telling people you have no morals..

I agree with you, but on the flip side; if you have a true numbers matching A12 complete with a build sheet but no fender tag, people will call "bullshit". The fraud in our hobby is sickening. When I moved to NC from NJ, I had my car shipped down. It has been titled in NJ since 2000, yet NC ran me through the ringer. Didn't trust NJ with a good clear title. I had to go through the State Bureau of Theft and do a complete background on my car. Even though it was CLEARLY my car. It took almost an entire year for my NC title to be issued. Fraud is prevalent, but if the man wants a fender tag, it's HIS car.
The seller did not have a BS......but he had a repop fender tag:realcrazy:

The VIN plate will reference the 5th digit "M" for A12 in 69.........So if the vin matches the body and the drivetrain, the next best piece to have for options IMHO is the BS.....So for me the FT is a novelty piece but of course I would prefer a car that has ALL documentation.....For A12's typically the only thing not matching is the block more than the trans and most are date coded and SPD correct replacement blocks....but when they plant a fake tag and stamp a block falsely is not only a crime(not the FT) but as you said it is sickening..

When I registered the X here in Ohio.....Now you have to do the "vin" verification for all cars from out of state......There was no way I would drive or trailer the car to the BMV so I had a BMV inspector come out. The questions were rather interesting and impressed me as to ho educated and strict they have become. Of course all the scammers made it a PITA for the people that do things the right way...

Glad to hear that it is not only North Carolina that does that.
Texas did it but they had what they called a "VIN waiver" for classics......So you declare to the state basically the car is legit in the state requirements. However, if falsely stated you set yourself up for doom......

I prefer the way it is handled here in Ohio.....Plus, it was not some flunky that inspected it.....Very professional and knowledgable. I was impressed...

I'm thinking of getting a tag made, but the difference is that I still have my original one. It's just shabby and rusty but I'll keep it along with the new one. It looks like this.
upload_2018-8-1_20-28-3.png

Auto Transport Service
Back