• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduction Exhaust Manifold Studs are junk and don't fit 383 heads

MoparGuy68

Local time
8:23 AM
Reaction score
Here we go again, with reproduction parts that aren't machined properly..

This time it is Exhaust Manifold Fastener Kit #MREHF8065 from Mancini Racing. Supposed to be for 68-74 B & E Body 383/440. The coarse threads on the studs WILL NOT screw into the threaded holes in my 383 Magnum heads. These studs are supposed to have 3/8" - 16 coarse threads.

My new Moroso, made in USA, 3/8" - 16 header bolts DO screw into my heads. I bought the Moroso bolts for my headers which turns out I cannot use with that Borgeson box.

The 3/8" - 16 studs I bought at Ace Hardware DO screw into my heads. I bought 4 of those, weeks ago, for first and last position for my header flanges..

The coarse threads on the studs in the Manifold kit are TOO WIDE in width. The spacing is correct but the threads are WAY too wide!!! I have already chased all 12 of those holes in both heads, weeks ago, and they are all CLEAN, so it's not my heads that are the problem.

Only thing usable in this "kit" are the fine thread 3/8" - 24 nuts and 3 sleeves. The studs are unusable. I paid $38.95 for this crappy kit.. Classic Industries sells what looks like the exact same junk, so be warned..

Probably Chinese and garbage threads that should not be sold for 383/440 heads.

Mancini is becoming another buyer beware. I just had an issue with them a couple of weeks ago.

I think this steering box change is cursed somehow...

Photos of the problem Mancini Racing studs on left side, that WILL not screw in, and would require putting them in a vice and using a cutting chaser nut to attempt to cut the threads to proper size.

ACE Hardware automotive studs on right side which screw ALL the way in using your fingers with NO modification. Threads are about TWICE as thick as they should be on the Mancini studs.

Mancini studs are 1.5" long. Last pic, on right, is an ACE 2" long stud (which I got 4 of today to use at locations I need to mount wire retainers). I think I will need extra length with the wire retainers because of using REMFLEX gaskets on the manifolds. ACE was out of stock of their 1.5" studs, so couldn't get any to replace the bad Mancini studs.. The ACE studs look like the same studs, just without malformed threads.

IMG_1949.jpg IMG_1950.jpg IMG_1984.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back