• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

requesting picture of factory weld roof skin to quarter panel 69 road runner

Kgrencer

Local time
4:33 PM
Reaction score
Hello, I just purchased a 69 Road Runner from Southern California. The car received a through restoration a few years ago and I am closely inspecting the work. The car is said to be an all original sheet metal example, and I am curious how the seam is supposed to look between the roof skin and the quarter panel when viewed from inside the trunk? I am hoping someone can take a picture of this area that has an original seam in place.

Thanks!

Weren't those 1-piece from the factory without any weld marks at all???

Why don't you post a picture of what your referring too? I can't imagine being able to take a picture of that area from inside the trunk......that seam is mid way on the C pillar.....so I am wondering if your talking about something else...

Btw roof skins are welded on the A and C pillars.......and spot welded on the perimeters...

You can see up there from the trunk, looking down the side of the roof line. I will get a picture when I get home this evening. Both sides are the same so I am guessing it is all factory done.

I think the seam is too far up to be visible from the trunk.

Here you guys go... For reference, this is looking from side of trunk up into the c-pillar area. The weld extends from the lower corner of the side window to about half way up the back window. The weld is pretty rough with a lot of wire hanging off. Also looks like there is lead that has seeped through from the seam applied from the outside. The other side of the car is consistent with this as well.

roof weld.jpg

it looks like something was replaced to me...

Never seen an original roof car look like that on the inside.......The lead never "seeped" through.....

Those welds were all spot welds from the factory. So if there's "wire" it ain't factory. And FWIW, ya can't believe everything the guy selling the car tells ya.

Through the roof frames interior holes in the back of the C pillar. probably 3 foot "tongs" on the welder.

beerestoration2017 991.JPG

. The car received a through restoration a few years ago

Thanks!

says who? they guy who did the resto? or the guy who paid for the resto? or the guy who sold you the car? I believe it was restored, but who is giving you the info?........ show us inside the trunk, and the inside of those "original" quarters

Last edited:
if you think it had a roof put on look real hard in the gutters and windshield posts, this can't be too hard to figure out

I can get you a pic from inside my GTX tomorrow

edit: didn't see dadsbee's post

that could be a 30-40 year old fix...... and are we sure it's lead? I'd think anyone who goes through the trouble of lead would do a nicer job welding.........

the original lead must be melted out of there before welding, it could have ran inside while being removed

Here was after full walnut blast and start of epoxy coat. Car was originally green per fender tag

9F02A0BB-B1AC-4A44-B72B-6204E38EFF55.jpeg 876F318F-3577-495D-8F3D-62D4768C8449.jpeg 1BF11C61-F2BD-4AEA-A89F-AB9071E015DD.jpeg A7391AC3-3F8E-4028-996C-6629E4AE675E.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back