• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reset Odometer to 0 miles

RJ Squirrel

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:48 PM
Reaction score
Started on the dash restoration for the RR, want to zero the odometer, anybody have any good tips for doing this without breaking it?

Without dissasembly it? With a drill.

Dissasembling? Tipically is held by a clip on the opossite side of the gear. Remove it and then turn by hand each wheel, althought it can be somehow tricky. Then reinstall.

Yep, a big no no here and
they're real stickers about
it.
Not so in WA. They just
changed their odometer
disclosure laws in 2023.
"In the State of Washington these vehicles are exempt from odometer reading: all vehicles model year 2010 or older, all vehicles over 16,000 lbs., non-motorized vehicles (trailer-type), low-speed vehicles (LSV), mopeds, and scooters."

Scratching my head over
this one.

The only thing I can think
of, is their records are
purged, and they wouldn't
have a way of tracking it.

Yep...that's what I ment.
Spell check sucke...
To answer your question - I guess it all depends on locality.

I am still preparing to drop off my new 'NOS' km speedometer to the local Instrument Shop to have it updated to reflect true distance travelled. Currently the distance is recorded as miles, but I will get them to convert and add the new extra distance travelled. We have a website that tracks cars mileages, and it's funny how many cars get it all screwed up.

Here in NM.
My 1940 Plymouth acquired
a new electronic
speedometer.
The bill of sale that records
the actual miles (when I
purchased) does not
match what the state police
saw during their level III
vin inspection which took
place with the new
speedometer.
Granted, this is on a
vehicle that is over 80 yrs
old.
They weren't too concerned,
but the DMV sure was.

I managed to get mine zeroed and tested, was not hard getting the cluster out and back in. I never did figure out a proper sequence or algorithm to turning them in relation with each other, I just kept futzing around with it like a rubiks cube.
As mentioned above I am exempt from odometer disclosure in my state. Actually, all the licensed vehicles I own (three cars, a truck and an offroad frankenstein) are exempt.

Since I've never changed or altered an odometer, it's possible to reset the number without disassembly with a neat trick. Or, it can be disassembled and reset. Again... I don't recall ever doing either method. The reverse drill method is very long and arduous... I've heard.

In the trade its called " giving it a haircut " :lol:

MANY get reset to zero during a complete restoration... whether that is right or wrong. Easy to do while you're putting new numeral labels on.

Ontario doesn't care either... they no longer ask for mileage on old classic cars at plate registration.

That said, I put mine right back where it was! Add a 100,000, as I cruised that puppy every friggin night..
beerestoration2018 1054.JPG

It's not too hard. Look at this video about 1/3 of the way in.

When I started with my race car it showed 99,*** something, we all laughed that it would never turn over. That was in 98. I think it shows 5,000 something now :steering:

MANY get reset to zero during a complete restoration... whether that is right or wrong. Easy to do while you're putting new numeral labels on.

Ontario doesn't care either... they no longer ask for mileage on old classic cars at plate registration.

That said, I put mine right back where it was! Add a 100,000, as I cruised that puppy every friggin night..
View attachment 1653509
Neither does Saskatchewan.

To answer your question - I guess it all depends on locality.

I am still preparing to drop off my new 'NOS' km speedometer to the local Instrument Shop to have it updated to reflect true distance travelled. Currently the distance is recorded as miles, but I will get them to convert and add the new extra distance travelled. We have a website that tracks cars mileages, and it's funny how many cars get it all screwed up.
Did you look for a kilo speedometer. A first Gen Charger NOS was for sale about a year ago in Canada.

I had mine put to zero when the dash rebuilt for the vehicle restoration

In the trade its called " giving it a haircut " :lol:
Over here in the trade, it's called another day. :rolleyes:

It got so bad with greedy car dealers that the Govt introduced a "Certified Odometer" regime....without it you had to prove the mileage readings.

Auto Transport Service
Back