• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration of 70 Super Bee

Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
Hi! I just joined the forum today. I have been searching for information and parts on google the last few week and I have received an abundance of good information from this site. I am in the beginning stages of restoring my fathers 1970 Dodge Super Bee w/383 that he bought brand new off the showroom floor in 1970. It has been sitting in storage for about 15 years and has about 60k with all original parts except the radiator (that's the reason why its been sitting up....but thats another story i will share). It has the typical rust spots (rear quarter panels, trunk pan, and by the rear window) but other than that its in pretty good shape. I have plenty of stories that I will be telling as I continue to bring this treasure back to life. I will also post pics when I get a chance to take some. Thanks! BBody4Life!!!

You know, pictures are required with a post like this.

I will be posting pics as soon as I get it out of the storage unit. It is crammed in there pretty good....lol. I'm not sure what my dad was think when he put it in there. I had some pics from years ago but for some reason I cant find them on my phone.

Take lots of pictures, bag and tag everything and throw nothing away!!! And don't forget to have fun. Good luck.

Welcome to FBBO from HOT & DRY NorCal

Here are some pictures I took this weekend. To be honest I think it's been in storage in the same place for about 20-25 years. I have all the parts that my dad took off in the corner. I'm still not sure why my dad decided to repaint the car. That is the original color and it hasn't been wrecked. The only thing I can think of is that he and his brother decided they wanted to paint some cars one dad and I guess the Super Bee was the Guinea pig...lol

The engine was rebuilt about 30 years ago...and has not been started more than twice in the last 30 years. I'm going to pull the engine out and change all the gaskets and seals. While it's out I might repaint it.

Here is the story as to why the car ended up getting to this place.

One summer day in 1984, my mother was driving us from my grandparents house. I was about 5 years old at the time. She has always driven with both feet....dont know why but oh well. Somewhere within the 5 mile trip to our house one of the motor mounts broke and the fan ripped the core out of the radiator. My mother knows nothing about cars but putting gas in them and starting the engine. It must have happened early in the ride because by the time we got home the engine was so hot that it kept running after she cut the ignition off. Like I said...she knows nothing about cars so she opens the hood and grabs some hedge trimmers and starts cutting battery cables and wires hoping to make it stop running. In hind sight, I so glad she didn't cut a fuel line.....that could have been tragic. Well since none of that stopped the engine she finally went inside and called my dad. I've never seem him get home so quick...lol. He came home and either cut the fuel off or choked it until it died. It is amazing that after all of that no damage was done to the engine. It had one burned valve. That evening my mom said she wanted a new car and that was the last day the Super Bee was driven. My goal is to restore it so that I can take my mother for a ride along with my son. This car means a lot to me so I have already been sourcing some NOS parts that are missing like the fan clutch and some other that I just want to replace.

In 1970, when my dad went to purchase a Super Bee, he was 24 years old. He wanted to get the Hemi or a 440/6 but was denied the opportunity by the dealership. They would not sell him one. He never told me the reason why but only he and my uncle know (my other older family members say it was because of his color). I could care less because I believe that anyone who has owned one of these knows how special they are. They are both deceased so I'll never know but my mom said he was so upset when he came home. But he grew to love this car and we have had many great memories surrounding it.

I have many more stories to tell of me as a child with this car. More coming soon along with updates on my progress. Thanks!

IMG_20160729_1754181.jpg IMG_20160729_1753546.jpg IMG_20160729_1753293.jpg

Great project. Ill bet it will look pretty good with just a bath.

What a story man! Look for "back in the day" pictures and post them. True muscle car Yellow!
The History is really nice to have. Can't find any on mine. I tried.

Auto Transport Service
Back