• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring a Tube type jack

QuickBpBp

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:21 PM
Reaction score
I have a nice date coded mechanism but it has rust on the cad plated mast. I have a beautiful mast with the slot type mechanism. What would be the best way to remove the mechanisms to make a really nice original jack? Grind the swedged areas of one end? What have others done to re-plate the masts or swap them out for nice ones? Thanks in advance and any pics of your results would be great.

I’ve done a few jacks this way… I flattened the swedged area with a hammer, removed the mechanism, bead blasted the mast, painted it with a flat aluminum spray, then fogged on a little gold paint. Blasted the mechanism, painted it, some are gray, some are black, reinstalled the mechanism, took a punch and pushed out the swedge. Sounds hokey, but it looks pretty good and you can’t see a good part of it when it’s reinstalled in the trunk.

Sorry tube type the yellow cad plated one...
Ive taken that style and just compress the tube in a vice. Slide the mechanism off the end.
Clean and paint the mechanism. and had the tube type mast replated

Auto Transport Service
Back