• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

restoring interior on a 69 RR

vitamin c orange

Local time
11:19 AM
Reaction score
I'm new at restoring. I have a few questions:
1. Can I paint my lower dash pad or should I look for a new one??

2. What is the best/easiest way to redo the white lettering on the switch panel??

Sorry for all my questions, wanting to get it right the first time.
Thanks

You can use SEM products to redo the lower dash pad and glove box door. It yields really good results. Regarding the switch panel, I just restored mine using satin black paint. The letters I did by hand using a fine paintbrush and white model paint. It took some patience but it turned out great.

My hands are not steady enough to use a fine paintbrush so for the lettering I used the eraser on a pencil as a stamp....just barely dip some white paint on the eraser as too much will cause the paint to drip down the sides of the letters....easy to do and took about 15 minutes.

My hands are not steady enough to use a fine paintbrush so for the lettering I used the eraser on a pencil as a stamp....just barely dip some white paint on the eraser as too much will cause the paint to drip down the sides of the letters....easy to do and took about 15 minutes.

X2 Put the paint on a sponge or some paper towel and you can control how much is on the eraser.

X2 Put the paint on a sponge or some paper towel and you can control how much is on the eraser.

Use an ultra fine paint pen from Hobby Lobby and a magnifying desk lamp or equivalent. Take your time. Takes 3 coats. Seal with satin clear.

As Stated before SEM Color Coat to paint the dash pad. I've used it to change colours of armrest and if you look at Mrspeedfreak's restoration thread (building my dream car) you can see the results of SEM with all the panels.

Tried to click on the attachment. Told me it was invalid. Maybe it was just my PC.

060.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

061.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

057.jpg

Removed/painted lower dash pad, removed/painted dash controls, replaced instrument bezel, installed correct radio, replaced steering wheel, painted steering column and dash.

- - - Updated - - -

058.jpg

I also had the upholstery done at the same time.

WHat did you find the best method was for painting the dash controls? the eraser as recommended?

Upholstery looks amazing and I love your steering wheel choice!

That interior looks great and I love the orange accents on the seat with the roadrunner on the headrest.

RE: Upholstery

Removed/painted lower dash pad, removed/painted dash controls, replaced instrument bezel, installed correct radio, replaced steering wheel, painted steering column and dash.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 163454

I also had the upholstery done at the same time.

Who did your upholstery? I love the roadrunners on the headrests and the orange accent stitching.

Auto Transport Service
Back