• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring wiring harness

I hope we’re not hijacking this thread, but wouldn’t that thinking also apply to brakes,fuel Lines,gas tank, and many other things? All the work we do on our cars depends on our individual knowledge, supplies, confidence, finances, tools, experience, etc. It wouldn’t be a hobby if you just took your car to Graveyard Carz for restoration.
I agree 100%.(if I’m reading this right lol) I remember seeing the picture of the guys using a come along attached to a huge tree to pull the engine from their Mopar. That’s “hobby”, creative, using what you have to get the job done. I have felt and fallen into this rabbit hole of perfection with my build. It’s stressful and sucks the fun right out of it. Your/our wiring harnesses have splices, are hacked up and have been modified YEARS AGO because another owner did what he could afford, what he knew and wasn’t worried about perfection. All they were trying to do was get out there and have fun.

I think the post is about ppl coments about electrical issues being not posible to fix without a full system replacement, which is not true. When you get a fuel pump fail you replace or rebuild it but you don't replace the fuel sender, gas lines, fuel pump and carburetor al together. Maybe some ppl without skills would make it, but most of us will attack the specific problem replacing just the damaged part. Well, electric parts are the same.

Most of car owners underestimate the electrical parts and really never take care on fix or learnt about it. Well, electrical parts are same critical than fuel or brakes and can be also fixed. Cheaper and easier in fact than some other parts of the car... if you care about it of course.

We are not talking about digital controled systems on these cars, just plain and basic electricity. Sure some concepts play here like ignition specs and stuff, but if talking about wiring is plain and simple.

Last edited:
Well someone has to keep companies like M&H in business. The wiring on these cars is not that complicated and while having solid good wiring is generally cheap insurance, it does not need to be new, just in good order. There is nothing wrong with an inspected, cleaned and repaired harness other than one of the wiring companies doesn't get your $1000+.

Obviously this hobby is comprised of a lot of different people with different skill sets, experiences and resources. Some of us cannot just replace everything we don't like or that is a bit worn; we have to actually repair things to keep these cars operational.

Auto Transport Service
Back