• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Retrofit Electric Fuel Pump

oxytousc

Local time
5:42 PM
Reaction score
The more expensive one comes with a Hydramat pickup (which is awesome) and provides 255LPH @ 60 PSI for fuel injection
The other unit doesn't have a hydramat pickup and provides 340LPH @ 6 PSI for a carburetor

Why do you want to convert to an electric pump where you have to drop the gas tank if it breaks?
I certainly wouldn't do that.

Why do you want to convert to an electric pump where you have to drop the gas tank if it breaks?
I certainly wouldn't do that.
If your adding EFI it's far and away the best approach... Dropping the tank isn't difficult on old Mopars..

If your adding EFI it's far and away the best approach... Dropping the tank isn't difficult on old Mopars..

Of course if theres a good reason i'd say go ahead.
I just woudn't do it on basically stock cars. (Which i have seen before)

And for ease, if you're keeping carburetor, Carter has an inline pump that gives 6psi no return line needed. Ford used them for years on Econoline vans w no issue. I used them many times on big block jet boats. Much easier to change out in an open boat than a mechanical.

Yea, it's not stock. It's a stroked 408. Keeping it carburated. It's going to sit a bit, so the ease of just priming it with an electric pump is what I'm going for.

Yea, it's not stock. It's a stroked 408. Keeping it carburated. It's going to sit a bit, so the ease of just priming it with an electric pump is what I'm going for.

Electric pumps do not like sitting as far as i know.
My cars (carbureted with mechanical pump) also sit over the winter months and they start up easy after that. Just squirt some fuel into the bowls & up you go.

But if an electric pump is what you want than go for it. :)

No problem sitting over the winter up here in the tundra, never heard of electric pumps not liking to sit, 10 years with a Holley red label. What any of these pumps and carbs don't like is alcohol blended fuels. Hard on diaphragms, seals, and carbs not designed for it.

Mark

There's an easier & cheaper way to accomplish what your after... Leave 99% of the fuel system as is & add a small electric pump mounted to the rear shock crossmember... Use a pump that doesn't have a positive shut-off valve.... This one is perfect

Facet Cube 12v Fuel Pump, 6AN male fittings, 4.5-6 psi | Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies

run the supply hose from the tank to the inlet of the pump, connect the discharge of the pump to the line going forward to the mechanical pump.. supply 12v. through a momentary contact switch

The pump I linked allows fuel to flow when the pump is turned off.. So you press the button to run the pump and prime the carb but then shut it off And the stock mechanical pump does the bulk of the work..

There's an easier & cheaper way to accomplish what your after... Leave 99% of the fuel system as is & add a small electric pump mounted to the rear shock crossmember... Use a pump that doesn't have a positive shut-off valve.... This one is perfect

Facet Cube 12v Fuel Pump, 6AN male fittings, 4.5-6 psi | Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies

run the supply hose from the tank to the inlet of the pump, connect the discharge of the pump to the line going forward to the mechanical pump.. supply 12v. through a momentary contact switch

The pump I linked allows fuel to flow when the pump is turned off.. So you press the button to run the pump and prime the carb but then shut it off And the stock mechanical pump does the bulk of the work..
Oh that’s interesting and easy. Basically just a priming pump. I’ve already got the wiring for a full electric pump back by the tank—was part of the harness. It’s not switches though.

Oh that’s interesting and easy. Basically just a priming pump. I’ve already got the wiring for a full electric pump back by the tank—was part of the harness. It’s not switches though.
An aftermarket harness with provisions for an electric fuel pump probably has a relay feeding the pump... Just gotta find the relay trigger wire & connect that to a switch...

Here's a thread I started. You don't need much just to prime with. Hook it up to w momentary switch with a fuse and away you go.

Electric primer pump for fuel

6 times to the floor. I tried to get a trap door installed in the trunk floor to access pump without dropping the tank. Couldn’t make it work.

Auto Transport Service
Back