• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Retrosound Center Dash Speaker Install

Found a bunch of other speed nuts and removed them, I'm stuck on the last bad speed nut. I've tried hammering a chisel underneath it, but all that did was dent the edge of the nut a little. I've tried cutting it with a cutting wheel on a dremel, but I've got to go to work and I don't need to risk getting metal in my eyes (my safety glasses are good at channeling dirt and stuff into my eyes. They may also keep some out, I don't know).

How am I going to get this last speed nut off?

Have you tried pulling or prying under the pad opposite of the nut to put pressure on it?

Good idea, but the stud didn't budge any.

I'll try cutting the nut again, now that I don't have to go to work in half an hour.

I've made progress cutting the speed nut, enough that I might get it to pop off when I pull the dash cap. But I've discovered another speed nut on the passenger end of the dash pad, and I bet there's one on the driver's side as well. The passenger side nut is almost impossible to get at. I'm beginning to wonder it it isn't easier to pull the whole dash. I think it's only held on with four bolts - two are clearly visible in the kickpanel area. Where are the other two? The FSM doesn't say anything about pulling the dash (or I haven't found that part). What does it take to pull the whole dash out?

4 across the top under the speaker grill.

Loosen the two under the kick panels. Pull the studs for the steering column, remove the 4 across the top. Now you pivot the dash forward to access the rear to disconnect wiring, speedo cable, etc. before pulling the entire dash out.

So I can't take my speaker grill cover off because the dash cap is blocking it, and I can't take my dash off because of the speed nuts. What a mess!

Finally got the dash pad off. I would have been screwed if either of the end speed nuts didn't want to come off. Luckily they were little trouble.

After carving away half of the top of the bad speed nut, what was left decided to engage and came off.

Since I have the steering column out, instrument cluster out, and most everything else out, I might as well remove the dash and treat all the surface rust.

With the dash out of the way, it is surely time to think about air conditioning.

AFAIK putting in the stock factory air conditioning would involve cutting out the non-AC section of the firewall and welding in an AC section.

I think Vintage Air involves cutting holes in the non-AC firewall, which is easier for a non-welder such as myself. But does Vintage Air feed a factory HVAC box, or does it add it's own box and vents?

It would be nice to use a factory vent setup.

Who makes the best dash pad? I see a bunch of pads with fiberglass cores but I think I've read that they have warping issues.

Is it better to have the original refurbished?

Dealing with my dash speaker years ago thought how nice it would have been to have 4 nice screws on the exterior of the grille. Those screws wouldn't have offended me at all. At my age now, hope the speaker lasts longer than I will.

That speaker will need minor trimming to fit the opening.

View attachment 1474331

Is that the Retrosound speaker? Mine looked like it would need more than a little trimming to be installed on top of the dash. I screwed it on from below instead.

I just now found out there is an optional speaker grill. I wish I'd known about it when I ordered since it appears mice have access to the center speaker.

Is that the Retrosound speaker? Mine looked like it would need more than a little trimming to be installed on top of the dash. I screwed it on from below instead.

I just now found out there is an optional speaker grill. I wish I'd known about it when I ordered since it appears mice have access to the center speaker.

I installed the Retrosound dual voice coil speaker. I don't remember there being any kind of optional grill when I bought mine.

Center speaker is installed. I ordered Retrosound's speaker grill cover to keep the mice out. It took a lot of modifying to make the cover work, but it was something to start with. I'm happy with the end result, as long as it sounds good!

05_center_speaker_install_13.JPG

05_center_speaker_install_14.JPG

View attachment 1472912

I'm trying to mount this guy into the 72 Charger without taking off the dash. I've got a cap on the dash, which overlaps the speaker grill and it looks like the grill can't be pulled without removing the dash. I'm pretty sure I'll end up removing the dash, but if I go that route I'm in extreme danger of "project expansion." If I have to pull the dash I'll end up replacing it with a repro, and if I take out the economy instrument cluster it may be a fancy one with a tach that goes back in, if that's possible. Probably needs a different wiring harness so you can see how this is mushrooming into a huge job.

I bought Retrosound's mounting kit for this speaker, but I don't see how it helps -

View attachment 1472919

What would that bracket bolt too?
Bolts to the Defroster Vent studs.

Auto Transport Service
Back