• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reverse Dash Light: 71 Super Bee 4 Speed

Manzolds

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:09 AM
Reaction score
Hello,
Does anyone know where the metal round connector (shown lower left in picture) connects?

I purchased both items for my 71 Super Bee 4 speed.

The light has a single strand wire but did not come with a connector.

It seems to me there should be a connector on the end of the single strand to connect to the metal connector shown on the harness.

My thinking is for different years perhaps different connectors were used, hence the reason a connector does not come with the light as a kit???

If this is so, does anyone know where this connector can be purchased for the connector pictured in the harness?

Thank you,
Jim
Reverse Dash Light Wiring.png
Dash Reverse Light.jpg

It seems by the pic the firewall harness runs straight to the bezel. It got already the bulb socket. So you can despite the socket and wire from the bezel.

Grommet location… I think on my PC I have the firewall wiring distribution for 71. I know I have it for 74 And some other But can’t recall if is the 71 or the 73. Maybe could be the same for 71 anyway, because I think it was the Tach along with some others were the ones which actually changed between firewall and bulkhead along the years but pretty sure reverse wire location always remain the same.

The feed for the wire must be spliced from the transmission harness on engine bay side. If you don’t have the propper transmission harness for it, the splice can be made. Just need a couple of male packard 56 terminals, one of them with its plug to plug it on the new harness you got for the new light with a piece of wire (maybe couple of inches is enough). The other one is to replace the existant one coming from transmission (with white trace); remove existant terminal from harness plug cut the old terminal and splice on the new terminal together the piece of wire with the new terminal to reach the new wire to feed the dash light and the wire existant on transmission harness to be inserted back on the transmission harness plug to bulkhead.

Will never understand why it was made like that, when could be spliced from inside the cab, saving from drill any extra hole on firewall.

Last edited:
Here is 74 (it was already posted around)

I guess 71 should be the same as explained before

img_3375-jpg.jpg

you should be able to find dimples on firewall to indicate where to drill.

Diagram for the splice… once again, if you don’t have the propper provision on existant harness

%2Ffilename%2F6197227-70ReverseLightHarness4-Speed.jpg

the B2A wire is the one you need to make to feed the new wire you got.

or get a new transmission harness with this provision already made

BLH-E.jpg

Last edited:
This is how it looks the harness (without the bulkhead plug attached)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=94233.jpg

it seems around 3 inches should be enough

the round metal connector is the light socket and it plugs into the dash light lens housing

Auto Transport Service
Back