• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reverse Lights Stay on

Data Plate

Local time
1:04 AM
Reaction score
The reverse lights stay on when the car is in drive on my 69 Charger. In Park there off - in reverse there on- in neutral there off- but in drive they stay on, I changed the neutral safety switch but that didn't help. Any idea what it could be.

Most likely a wrong combination between a switch and rooster comb. You most likely will need to pull the pan to see whats in there. The newer switch 69 and newer does not work correctly with a 68 and older comb.

In addition to checking the shift linkage, take a look at the wiring to the switch and test the two outside wires in each position to hunt down what sounds like an inadvertent ground. you can have a bad switch (even new ones can arrive broken) or in messy scenarios the shifter linkage inside the transmission is out of adjustment.

For testing, check out this short vid... the guy does a very good job explaining the what's and why's and how to test.

reverse light switch.jpg

In addition to checking the shift linkage, take a look at the wiring to the switch and test the two outside wires in each position to hunt down what sounds like an inadvertent ground. you can have a bad switch (even new ones can arrive broken) or in messy scenarios the shifter linkage inside the transmission is out of adjustment.

For testing, check out this short vid... the guy does a very good job explaining the what's and why's and how to test.

View attachment 1452543

There is no inside adjustment. If it was adjustment the lights would be doing it at the park or neutral position. If it was adjustment he would be having no crank in park or neutral. By the time it has passed neutral there is no reason for the lights to be on. If the valve body is in the drive detent the switch should not be activated. It is not a ground issue or the fuse will blow. Possible bad switch??? Maybe. My bets he has an older transmission or valve body with a newer switch.

I have that issue on my 70 Challenger however, my reverse light stays on in reverse, neutral, 1, 2 & 3 (RMVB). only goes out in park.

The transmission is a 68 ive tried 3 different neutral safety switches and the same thing happens. It was rebuilt recently don't remember if it worked after the rebuild its been at the welder and paint shop for like 14 months finally got it home.

The transmission is a 68 ive tried 3 different neutral safety switches and the same thing happens. It was rebuilt recently don't remember if it worked after the rebuild its been at the welder and paint shop for like 14 months finally got it home.
You can try 3 more and it is not going to work right. You need the part commonly called a rooster comb replaced with a 69 or newer style. Pan has to come off and the valve body needs to also come out to replace it.

Here is a picture. You most likely have a comb like the two on the left and are using the new style switch on the right. Not going to work.

6965331-NSSwitches(1).jpg

Thanks for the advice and and pictures I know what I have to do now will keep you updated hopefully soon

where can I get one who would sell it ? Or does any body have one to sell?

Last edited:
I was wondering from 1969 to what year Rooster comb and back plate can I use I need to find one

I have the switch on the right side with 3 prongs in it now

Wasn't that a sign back in the day that you were up for some street action.
I would leave it. Smileyface.

yes it was I remember you could turn the column of a 4 speed car and they went on for racing

The reverse lights stay on when the car is in drive on my 69 Charger. In Park there off - in reverse there on- in neutral there off- but in drive they stay on, I changed the neutral safety switch but that didn't help. Any idea what it could be.
Was your original neutral safety switch working properly for a period of time before you started having this issue?

I changed the rooster comb today and that seems to be the problem. The neutral safety switch seems to be to long so I had to back it all the way out so the lights work properly. I haven't filled the transmission yet with fluid hope it doesn't leak from there. Do they make a 3 prong neutral safety switch with short threads only the one size ?

I changed the rooster comb today and that seems to be the problem. The neutral safety switch seems to be to long so I had to back it all the way out so the lights work properly. I haven't filled the transmission yet with fluid hope it doesn't leak from there. Do they make a 3 prong neutral safety switch with short threads only the one size ?
One size. If you are backing the switch out it will leak. You got something wrong.

Auto Transport Service
Back