• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ring Gap questions

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
So I have a 4.375 bore. The manufacturer recommends 0.0045x the bore for street strip or 0.0055x the bore gap for up to a 150 shot. While gapping the second rings, I somehow had overshot one. Ideally, both rings are supposed to be gapped at 0.020. One of the second rings is 0.022-0.023. The next higher recommended gap is 0.024. Should I gap all the lower rings at this gap, or just leave that one a bit looser?

I suppose my question is what will the real affect be? Anything significant?

What driving are you doing with the car?

No worries mate.

It means absolutely nothing. Run it. (Since I may use a nitrous setup I have, I just used a standard ring set, not the file to fit. Perfect nitrous gaps, but it runs just fine n/a).

Current thinking is to have the 2nd gap larger than the top to reduce ring fluter. the most important aspects? Ring seal to the wall. Ring seal to the piston ring groove. These two are worth way more power than a perfect ring gap.
Doug

the last couple of street engines i've done (pump gas only) i've set the gaps just a few thousands looser for safety sake. no down side at all. cylinder wall finish is more important in my opinion.

when the manufacturer gives you a ring gap recommendation like .0045 per inch (for example) that's not a maximum number but should be treated more like a minimum. there seems to be more of a tendency to a little wider end gaps anymore. it's my understanding that a little more gap can keep the rings cleared out and can help a little with detonation. definitely a plus if the engine may have a heat issue in traffic or normal driving.

I always gap my second rings .002-.004 bigger than the top. Open them all up.

Auto Transport Service
Back