• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road Runner wheel cover

Mike Szadaj

Local time
5:56 AM
Reaction score
I stopped at a garage sale today, and I noticed this road runner wheel cover in the garage. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I have always been under the impression that these wheel covers were some thing made out of cardboard and used by dealerships for advertisement. This one is made out of metal, and he claims they were made to be used while driving the car. He says the idea was to have four of them on the car. He says when attached to the car that they would not rotate when the car was moving. It doesn’t seem like they were weighted. I would appreciate any information about these things. So there is no confusion, the knob in the middle is a cabinet knob screwed to a magnet. That is his way of Hanging it up on a steel cabinet.

IMG_2480.jpeg

Yes they were able to remain on the car while it was driven. They were also available on Dodge Superbees too. They were only on the front wheels,they attached to the spindles. They do not spin with the wheels. They stay stationary while the wheels spin.

Agree nice find. Looks like something these guys might have paid high price for.
1696028571931.png

Nice find. Definitely not something we see at flea markets or antiquing around these parts. And how cool to know they were actually used on the cars, not just a piece to hang up on the wall.
:thumbsup:

It’s hard to tell by your replies, but it seems like some of you think I got the cover. The owner just took it down in order to show it to me. I never even inquired about buying it, it was not part of the sale, But he believes it to be worth $800-$1000. And that would be just for the piece in the picture. He does not have any of the parts to attach it to a car. After holding it in my hands, it seems like those missing attachment parts would have to be pretty special In order to keep the cover from spinning when the car is moving.

The guy I bought my Satellite from had a few sets of those. He also had some Hams bear ones.

Those only work with cars that have FRONT drum brakes. Yes, they attach to the spindle but I'm curious as to what they do for a grease cap.

See this video....

1696061882694.png

At 10 seconds in , you'll see a 1969 Road Runner with the same disc on the right front wheel.
There is no way to mount these on rear wheels while keeping them stationary with the car in motion.

Those only work with cars that have FRONT drum brakes. Yes, they attach to the spindle but I'm curious as to what they do for a grease cap.

See this video....

View attachment 1532430

At 10 seconds in , you'll see a 1969 Road Runner with the same disc on the right front wheel.
There is no way to mount these on rear wheels while keeping them stationary with the car in motion.

Looks like your basic awful and whacked-out Quinton Tarentino movie.

Auto Transport Service
Back