• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road trip/stranded in Denver update

charliesharp

Local time
4:42 AM
Reaction score
1st off, I would like to thank everyone who offered help on my misadventure in Denver! It was a much needed adventure and with it being over was kind of fun.

It started off well as the flight into Denver was 20 minutes early and the cab ride was cheaper than expected.

The car (62 Plymouth Savoy) ran good when the owner fired it up and other than a hesitation at take off, it drove pretty good for a 50 year old car. I got the car $200 cheaper than the asking price, thinking to myself that this is going pretty damn good, I might have jinxed myself. After the purchase I drive 5 minutes to a gas station to fill it up, as I pull up to the pump it spits and dies, I think no big deal, I put gas in it, restart the car and it dies as so as I put it in gear. From here on out the car will not restart and was just a big paperweight. Thinking it has a vaporlock issue, I walk a mile in 95*, high altitude heat to the O'riellys and have great service and a ride back to the derlict as I was now calling it but the vaporlock wasn't the problem. The car had been sitting for for a while (long while I'm thinking) and crudded up the carb, after taking it apart and cleaning it as much as I could at that gas station and the car still not restarting I was beatboth mentally and physically. By this time my brother and step dad (both mopar guys) decide to drive 18 hours to get the car, not sure they wanted to get me, I arrainge for a U-haul trailer, tow (as not to get impounded) the car to a motel and wait. We tow the car home pretty much without any issues except a VERY heavy rain in Nebraska. Once home the car get put on stands, carb comes off and about 2 hours later it lives :headbang:

Now to check out a few more things on it and begin driving :hello2:

Attachments

• 2012-05-27_16-21-05_856.jpg
    2012-05-27_16-21-05_856.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 2012-05-28_06-10-52_834.jpg
    2012-05-28_06-10-52_834.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 281
  • 2012-05-28_06-56-16_661.jpg
    2012-05-28_06-56-16_661.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 287
The same thing happened to me just after I bought my 64!
Took apart the carb apart for a "roadside rebuild" and found a dead roach stuck in the jet what are the odds of that!
Well at least you got a deal on the car and its home now.
Too bad you couldnt enjoy a nice drive back.
Good luck with it.

glad ya made it alive. those storm clouds look DEADLY!

Those couds were deadly, a guy lost control and hit the gaurdrail with the driver side of his car and lost his life :(

My plans are to drive it this summer and enjoy the 225 until enough parts are aquired for it. I want to put a 383 pushbutton auto combination under the hood and get it to handle the corners.

Glad you made it back - sorry it wasnt a better trip, but now that youve got it running, the road beckons!
Really like the photo out the back window of the pickup. Thanx for sharing.

Those couds were deadly, a guy lost control and hit the gaurdrail with the driver side of his car and lost his life :(

My plans are to drive it this summer and enjoy the 225 until enough parts are aquired for it. I want to put a 383 pushbutton auto combination under the hood and get it to handle the corners.

way cool. that car looks good and SOLID! good luck with the project. 383...good choice...strong and reliable!:headbang:

I hope you aren't married. "The I told you so!" is probably in high gear if you are.

I hope you aren't married. "The I told you so!" is probably in high gear if you are.

not married but thanks to facebook I've heard a couple "I told you so"

Already got a bb push button transmission, lucky for me my stepdad kept the one I bought 20 years ago for the 62 fury I'm patiently waiting to get back :)

the carb when I 1st took it apart and the only bad spots I've found on the car

Attachments

• 2012-05-26_16-20-39_843.jpg
    2012-05-26_16-20-39_843.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 193
  • 2012-05-26_16-20-37_141.jpg
    2012-05-26_16-20-37_141.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 188
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 229
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 215
maybe the car figured that as old as it was,it wanted a ride all the way back home.I'll bet you got a few looks from passer by's,i know i would've looked at it.Still i'm glad you made it home.

It got penty of looks, an offer to buy and called a corvair in Iowa lol

Car looks great and you did the right thing towing back, that carb would have plagued you the entire trip if you gotten it running at the first gas stop.

Glad you made it back safe, and you'll have that bad *** machine running like a top before long. Not the most enjoyable way to score a car, but you got a sweet ride. Enjoy it!

Good to see you got her home, I would drop the fuel tank, replace the scene on the fuel sending unit pick up tube, flush the tank out very well, replace the fuel filters, possibly even the main fuel lines or at least clean & blow them out, remove the fuel pump & clear it out too... That is allot of corrosion in the carburetor fuel bowl, even if it was from old fuel, left in the carburetor, it would be a smart thing to do, one less issue to have to deal with in the future, if the carburetor was that bad, I could only imagine how bad the fuel tank, pick up, filters & lines are...

Looks like a cool car. I would do what Bud said and then daily drive the heck out of it. I wish I had one of my old cars running to daily drive.

The 383 will be a great engine for that car. I thought about buying a 383 at a junkyard even before I had a mopar because they were selling it for cheap as nobody wanted it. Too bad I was poor.

Auto Transport Service
Back