• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roadrunner intake hood clearance

Plymouthrocks

Local time
4:32 AM
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone knows if a victor 440 intake on a 440 with carb and aircleaner will fit in a 1969 roadrunner engine compartment with regular steel hood. Thanks.

With an aftermarket drop-base air cleaner...probably. Those Victors look tall. If you have an engine/carb/air cleaner in the car now you could put a big hunk of clay on the air cleaner & close the hood (maybe some masking tape on air cleaner & bottom of hood). Open the hood & measure the height of the clay. Now find the measurements of the two intakes & see how much tall a Victor is vs. your current intake?

With an aftermarket drop-base air cleaner...probably. Those Victors look tall. If you have an engine/carb/air cleaner in the car now you could put a big hunk of clay on the air cleaner & close the hood (maybe some masking tape on air cleaner & bottom of hood). Open the hood & measure the height of the clay. Now find the measurements of the two intakes & see how much tall a Victor is vs. your current intake?

That’s a good idea with the clay. I am just building the engine now haven’t got the car close to done yet. Would like to dyno engine with victor but don’t want to buy if it won’t fit. Thanks for replying

The victor is roughly an inch taller than the performerRPM, which I use...I say no way with a stock hood unless you find a base with quite a big drop and use a thin element. My air cleaner sits up inside the six pack scoop(which gives an extra 3" or so) and still has only 1-1/2" of clearance, with no drop base and a 3" element.. measure the height of your carb, and then check Edelbrock's website to verify the dimensions (don't forget to account for the air cleaner stud and nut)

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/manifolds/reference-dimensions.shtml

I recall eons ago, we had a similar problem on a customer's car, which we used a shorter 14" round filter from some other car model. You can try a narrower filter, they're available.

I was just checking air filter clearance myself yesterday (I want to put a '68-'69 340 air cleaner on my 318). The usual element is WiX #42044 (Fram CA305) which is 2 3/4" tall. I found a WIX #42070 (which is for a dual quad Max Wedge) which is only 2 1/8" tall and same diameter.

I'm going to say probably not. The Victor is an inch taller than the Performer RPM and the RPM is usually too tall without a drop base. You could drop the base and get a shorter air cleaner but how much air flow are you killing by having the carb air horn so close to the cleaner lid?

you don't know what HO is?
In MY Humble Opinion
I was driving down Garvey in El Monte going to play Santa for the Kids
Going Ho HO HO in the convertible
cops busted me for soliciting

Auto Transport Service
Back