• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roadrunner Steering Coupler Options $300 to $7.68

idrivemopar

Reaction score
I am sure most people with a 73 or 74 Roadrunner or satellite have a deteriorated steering coupler. I am not sure about other years and models, but I have been exploring options and here is what i have come up with in the picture below. The original dimensions are 3 inch diameter with 1 inch thickness.

Figure 1 is the original. If you can find NOS, I have seen them sell for $300, and that’s too expensive.

Figure 2 is one i made from steel, cost $48, but it is too heavy. I have also seen billet aluminum ones for $125. Light weight, but price point I think is high.

Figure 3 is one made from vulcanized rubber using zinc coated metal sleeves. It’s about the same weight as the original. Cost $7.68. Yes, its actually an official NHL hockey puck.

What does everyone think about option 3? Would it be durable enough? I would have to put the heat shield back on, but would it withstand the heat from the exhaust manifold and not crumble?
Let me know what you think or other ideas.

Attachments

• Steering Coupler Small.jpg
    Steering Coupler Small.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 929
Dont get a Toronto Maple Leaf puck,They dont work well.LOL

Last edited:
Seems to me they were made from rubber for a reason, I'd go with original style. I had to replace mine on my 73 Charger, unfortunately I was only able to find one and it cost me over $140....

I can't use the heat sheild beacuse of the headers and my factory one got burnt up real quick..I used the billet aluminum one and it is great. I hear all the negatives about using them because the factory made them rubber for a reason, but that piece cured my issues and I haven't noticed any significant drawwbacks.

Thats a good point about using a non-rubber one if you have headers, and that is what i will be upgrading to once the motor is done.

I dont think anyone has really figured out why Chrysler made these from rubber. Some say it was for anti-vibration to the steering wheel, but not sure if that is really true.

Guys have been using them as motor mounts for years - if it can withstand the weight and torque of a motor, it should be able to turn your wheel no problem... what did you use to drill out the center hole?

You have been using hockey pucks as motor mounts? Now thats funny!

I used a paddle or spade type bit, the ones used typically for drilling wood to drill all the holes.

coupler vibration insulator

:headbang:I need a new one too would you want to deal the number 2 part ?let me know ..I would be interested .I do not want to cut the end of the steering column just to put on a swivel and a piece of 3/4 d rod just so i can clear the headers .I am too fussy i guess let me know ..thanks for the views of your work...

:headbang:I need a new one too would you want to deal the number 2 part ?let me know ..I would be interested .I do not want to cut the end of the steering column just to put on a swivel and a piece of 3/4 d rod just so i can clear the headers .I am too fussy i guess let me know ..thanks for the views of your work...

I used The Flaming River coupler and you actually don't have to cut the end of your steering column. The Coupler is removable and you cut the Flaming River shaft to your desired length and replace the coupler. Very easy to install and leaves you with lots of clearance.
View attachment IMG_1050A.jpgFlaming River Steering Knuckle 1.jpg

I don't know about them "newer" cars but on my '63 I went with Flaming river:blob1:

Attachments

• IMG_0067.JPG 2r.jpg
    IMG_0067.JPG 2r.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_0068.JPG 2.jpg
    IMG_0068.JPG 2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 432
Darn! I recently went with a hockey puck ( figure 3). So far its been holding up with the shield on it. I shall see for how long. I couldn't find the original or anything close. If I would have know bouchillon sold them, would have purchased, and it seems for a reasonable price! [QUOrTE=72RoadrunnerGTX;909843466]http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPE2119.asp[/QUOTE]

I used The Flaming River coupler and you actually don't have to cut the end of your steering column. The Coupler is removable and you cut the Flaming River shaft to your desired length and replace the coupler. Very easy to install and leaves you with lots of clearance.
View attachment 100979View attachment 100980
Do you have a part number for this? I was considering going this route from a lot of words of advice.

I don't have the Part Number but, If you go into the Flaming River Wed site and look up Steering Column accesseries www.flamingriver.com . If i recall correctly i used a coupler kit that converts from Manual to Power Steering (As shown in the picture) and cut the Shaft on the Coupler to the required length. Once you determine the length desired, you will need to either loosen you Power Steering box or your steering Column and slip the coupler over the spline. I believe there is a Roll pin that you will need to install through the end of the Steering Column as well.

i have used the flamming river couplers several times.so far the only one that requires cutting the column was adapting from a power column to a manual box.if you measure corectly you wont have to loosen the column or the box for installation and removal.

Yup, the originals were rubber for a reason and that was to help absorb shock up to the wheel....and it was cheap. The older cars didn't use rubber and it was fine but in the interest of making cushy and quieter cars, rubber was installed into all the shock points that they could think of putting it.

I tried to order from Bouchillon for about a year - gave up as I was always told they were on national backorder. Bought mine from Frank Mitchell on Ebay - hated to do it as he has a rep for being way overpriced.

Back