• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rob & Stu's 63 Polara 500

uk-maxie

Local time
3:41 PM
Reaction score
Hi all
Just joined in the fun on here and posted a 'Hi' in the newbie area...
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=11475
so though my next duty was to get some pics & info on the cars here...

Where to start? At the beginning I suppose, but I'll try & keep it brief!

To save a bit of typing, check this link for a bit of background on how we found the car, and how it came to live on this side of the Atlantic.

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-lane63.html

This is how the car was when we saw it in NC

100_0044.jpg

100_0043.jpg

more views of the previous owner's garages :)

100_0077.jpg

100_0068.jpg

The 'teething' troubles referred to in that article, turned out to need a full engine rebuild to cure, as when stripped, there were found to be too many problems to sort with just a tune-up :(

That took about a year and about 2/3 the cost of the car to complete, but we were able to retain the majority of the oringinal MW parts, just needing new pistons (Diamond, .030" over), cam (MP hydraulic) & lifters and a lot of head work, as the guides & seats were shot!
We tried to keep it a stock rebuild, except for the cam (didnt fancy doing the valve lash at regular intervals, cos of the need to remove the inlet & poss the exh manifold on one side, just to get the valve cover off! Cam is a Mopar Performance .509 lift item, so similar spec to the original mecahanical version.
Compression is down a bit too, at 10.2:1, just so we could run pump gas without worry.

We had the engine dyno'd and it gave 450hp & 500ft/lbs, so on the good side of the advertised 410hp!
As the engine builder said at the time, a step up with the cam & a bit more compression would really liven it up, but we wanted to see how it would perform as stock as possible first.

DSC02539.jpg

LMM229-4-07Large.jpg

Fitted SSBC discs at the front while the engine was out, with a dual circuit master cylinder. Theyre still not idea but a bit better than they were. Chose the SSBC kit over the MP Brakes kit as you can still fit 14" wheels, whereas you can only use 15's with the MP calipers. That allows us to use our original wheels or swap the 15's we've also now got.

Trans needed a rebuild too, despite having a rebuild & a new converter before leaving the States :rolleyes:
Oh, and one of the drive shaft flanges was bent too, (on the same side as the wheel arch has taken a knock, so that may be an old problem) so we fitted a new pair of Moser shafts.

Car was back up & running by around Sept '06, then spent most of the following winter & spring getting the push-button trans set up right. Thanks go out to the guys on the 62-65 mail list for this, without whom we'd prob still be struggling to get the gears selected!

Car was again out of commission for the autum/winter/spring of 07/08 while we tidied up the interior, which still had most of its original parts. The seat vinyl wasnt in bad shape for its age, but the foam crumbled everytime you sat on the front seats, leaving a pile of dust on the carpet. The stitching on the original vinyl looked a bit fragile, so we decided to go with new Legendary covers & foam, with matching door panels from SMS. Shame the old stuff had to go, but we're pleased with the results. Despite the seats having the wrong colour stitching (red instead or white) and being a bit tight in the front & loose in the back :rolleyes:

Showing old & new door panels..
100_5298.jpg

DSCF1486.jpg

and fitted rear seat belts while we were at it...
DSCF0729.jpg

We also got autoinstruments to spruce up a spare instrument cluster we bought off ebay. We had it sent direct to them from the seller, so we saved on one lot of trans-atlantic shipping, and we still have the original cluster.

After a couple of attempts they did a fantastic job! First time round they painted the areas our original cluster has as chrome, so we sent it back and they re-did it in chrome free of charge! Pain in the ***, but very nice of them to oblige! Apparently, some of these clusters were painted and some were plated? Still not sure about that... :shruggy:

Original cluster...
olddash006.jpg

1st attempt...
DSCF0198.jpg

Redone...
DSCF0681.jpg

Also fitted a 3" MW TTI system around this time as the one that came with the car was starting to rust through. Not cheap but fitted quite well considering. Dynomax mufflers are noisier than the previous ones fitted but that may be cos theyre a few inches shorter :confused: Quite an annoying drone to be honest but we've learnt to live with it!

That's pretty much how it is now. We get to use it most of the year (when not replacing the engine or interior :grin:), weather permitting.

Despite all the stories abiout the MW engine being impossible to drive in traffic, we manage ok in and around London. Even did a 'tunnel run' last March - a 2 hour drive round the centre of London taking in as many tunnels as possible.. and that was with about 1.5 hr journey before & after to get there & home. And she didnt miss a beat :cool:

I'll get some more pics up over the next day or so....

Robert

IMG_9936.jpg

Another pic I thought worth posting...

Taken soon after we got the car in July '04, at the Mopar EuroNats at Santa Pod Raceway. We got a 2nd place trophy.

Al Eckstrand was on hand to give out some of the trophies, and made sure he was there for ours

L-R in the pic, that's me, my lad, my brother, Al & the Editor of the UK magazine Classic American.

I know Al has spent a lot of time over here in the UK over the years, but it was still a great honour to meet him that day and he seemed genuinely pleased to see the car :grin:

Group.jpg

Nice collection of cars! Nice shop too!!

Hi Brendon - what can I say, except you're a star! All these years (nearly 9) and that's the first pics I've seen of the car before we bought it (except those that appear in a couple of glossy car books) :icon_salut:

Can you tell me where & when they were taken? Presumably while it was still in California, so sometime before '89? And do you know who owned it back then? It would be nice to fill in some gaps in its history!

Dont suppose you've got any more? :grin:

Sorry Brendon, just re-read your pm to me, where you said you'd seen the car in Pinehurst when you lived there. I spose those pics were from back then in Pinehurst?

Doesnt look a lot different to when we first saw it in 2004 in Greensboro!

This is a scan of the page from 'Car Of The Sizzling 60's' - the only other pics we've seen of the car back in the States.

There was another book I saw on American Hot Rod that Boyd had with a double-page side view of our car (maybe from the same photo shoot?) and used it as a basis for the design of the 'Max Hemi' they did. Havent been able to find a copy of that book over here tho...

Attachments

• 63.JPG
    63.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 217
great looken' 63 Polara, I love the guys garage/car collection, that it came from too, good luck have fun across the pond...

Auto Transport Service
Back