• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rock Island .45 1911 style

I know Armscor well and know the Philippines even better (have spent a lot of time there, speak Tagalog and am married to a Filipina). They have had some issues over the years but every gun company has. Early on their 1911's were decently made but the internals were suspect, however they have a very robust action shooting population in PI and they generally love guns so over time the products improved quite a lot. The main problem with Armscor has always been that they are seen by the US consumer as a "sub-standard" product commensurate with brands like Norinco when in fact they have always been much better. This was one of the main reasons they purchased Rock Island, to gain some industry acceptance in the US, unfortunately this hasn't really happened but this isn't due to quality, it is a direct result of the dilution of the market by a dizzying array of companies making a 1911 variant. I have owned or at least shot pretty much every brand of 1911 out there and while there are some really nice ones, they all are working off the same prints and therefore all of them are very similar.

The one thing that gets kind of lost when you talk about a 1911 is that in order to make them really accurate all of the tolerances have to be tightened up, unfortunately what you get in accuracy you lose in reliability; meaning that a very accurate 1911 will generally require more frequent lubrication/cleaning to remain functional. The thing here is that accuracy and reliability are both a bit subjective depending on the user. I have seen some high end 1911's that will lock up when oiled because the tolerances are so tight, the guns we had in the Army were so loose they rattled when shaken but they worked every time regardless of how dirty they were. I currently have something like 8 or 9 1911 variants ranging from pretty stock to very high end and they all have their place.

Sorry for the tirade... point being here, that RI 1911 is probably a good gun :thumbsup:
You and me both. Spent many a time in the PI when in the USAF. Speak a little Tagalog but no Filapina for me. Do not trust them as I have many Friends that married one and are forever having their bank account drained when they send money to their Families back there. Loved partying , cold San Miguel, and Shanghai Lumpia, and Golf when there but that was then and this is now. But back on point...99% 1911's are parts interchangeable with the exception, as I understand it, of Kimber's and other specialties manufacturers. A great entry level and reliable 1911...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

I was back in PI about 4 months ago and am going again in June to run a course. As to the bank account deal, same issue with GIs in Korea; you can take the girl out of the bar but not the bar out of the girl... I was never stationed in PI rather went TDY from Oki and worked all over the country (as we did everywhere we worked).

I don't have the same affectations of the .45 that many have. I've owned a couple of "off brand" ones
like most, I suppose - including a RIA from their malaise days. It shot fine, wound up trading it on
something else I just "had" to have (that happens a lot with guns with me; love the local gun shows :)).
There's just too many really good polymers out there these days, some fantastic stuff - not to mention
I do love me some nostalgic long irons.
That said, I would absolutely LOVE to get an honest to God WW2 issue 1911. I missed the boat with the
CMP program on those and they've gone sky-high since. Darn shame.

I have something like 30 pistols which includes a pretty wide variety that includes Glocks, SIG, 1911's, BHP, Beretta, etc. I recently bought a SIG P320X Vtac, very nice gun and shoots exceptionally well. As it relates to 1911 (or steel) guns verses polymer guns I would say this, if it is for home defense or light carry gun, pretty much anything will do, however if it is a gun that is going to be shot a lot in a wide variety of environments then one of the modern guns such as a Glock or 320 is a better choice. I carried WWII ear 1911's on active duty and while they are nostalgic they are not accurate and only carry 7 rounds. In the real world (from a military prospective) there are a lot more bad guys than you have bullets generally. My competition guns are STI based; I have 2, one in .40 an one in 9mm both are very custom and are worth probably $3 to $4K each but I would not carry one daily or into combat despite being exceptionally accurate. If I had to take one of my pistols into harms way, it would probably be one of my G17s or perhaps my G34; works every time regardless of the environment, carries 17+ rounds and is accurate.

Of course guns are like cars; everyone has their own opinion and none of them are necessarily wrong or right.

I have something like 30 pistols which includes a pretty wide variety that includes Glocks, SIG, 1911's, BHP, Beretta, etc. I recently bought a SIG P320X Vtac, very nice gun and shoots exceptionally well. As it relates to 1911 (or steel) guns verses polymer guns I would say this, if it is for home defense or light carry gun, pretty much anything will do, however if it is a gun that is going to be shot a lot in a wide variety of environments then one of the modern guns such as a Glock or 320 is a better choice. I carried WWII ear 1911's on active duty and while they are nostalgic they are not accurate and only carry 7 rounds. In the real world (from a military prospective) there are a lot more bad guys than you have bullets generally. My competition guns are STI based; I have 2, one in .40 an one in 9mm both are very custom and are worth probably $3 to $4K each but I would not carry one daily or into combat despite being exceptionally accurate. If I had to take one of my pistols into harms way, it would probably be one of my G17s or perhaps my G34; works every time regardless of the environment, carries 17+ rounds and is accurate.

Of course guns are like cars; everyone has their own opinion and none of them are necessarily wrong or right.

All very good side arms. Funny that not many go towards the Springfield XD M45 series which is a Polymer set up double stack. That is my "if the SHTF" gun to carry in the field. Shoots great and I actually love it over the 1911. I had to have a 1911 more so for the nostalgia and history of them and besides, a .45 has a hell of a lot of stopping power over say a .40 or 9mm. I carried both a .38 special when flying and then the M9 afterwards. I hated that gun. Qualified every time my renewal was up, but for us Aircrew it was more an anti hijacking weapon than combat although it was widely carried in the setup as well. The Beretta's don't fit well for me as I have smaller hands and it would bounce around regardless of fist and cup or other style gripping. I know the debate is shot placement over ballistics and stopping power, but I have seen a 9mm or .40 go right through flesh and the recipient kept a comin' The .45 would knock them on their asses. But in the hands of any competent shooter any semi auto hand gun will do the job...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

I am going to spare everyone the caliber debate suffice to say that human anatomy and mindset do not correspond to kinetic energy numbers; meaning that while a .45 does carry and deliver more energy than a 9mm, it does not equate to lethality. To that point more people have been killed with a .22LR than any other handgun caliber... but each to his own.

I agree about the 1911, everyone should own one just because its iconic Americana. Like most GIs, I was not real excited when we got the M9s, however I have to say I came to respect and love it to a degree. I have one that I have personally fired well over 10,000 rounds out of. I carried one for over 5 years while in a classified CT unit, used one in USPSC and IDPA competition, etc. That said, I firmly believe that you should have the gun that suits you and that you have confidence in.

I have taught a lot of people to shoot a variety of platforms and when it comes to a personal defense weapon, everyone should have and use a weapon that they like based on ergonomics, recoil management, economics, etc. Some people get way to emotional about guns (like cars...) but at the end of the day they are just tools to do a job, use the right tool for the right job as the majority will accomplish the job. I have seen many people choose a .45 ACP because of some article they read or some buddy's recommendation only to discover that the recoil is too much for them. I'd rather see someone shooting a gun they can hit with than a hand cannon that scares the crap out of them everytime they pull the trigger.

My Rock Island 1911 is the only semi-auto handgun I own that has never had a single malfunction.

View attachment 886806

My Series 70 MKV Gold Cup is 41 yrs old,never been fired,just could never bring myself to do it.
realcrazy.gif

Picture 708.jpg

Last edited:
My friend had his camaro broken into on a vacation trip to vegas, many years ago. We called the police, they weren't even going to come out to make a report, till my friend told them of the goldcup that wasn't in the center console any more.
There was an officer there in five minutes.
Needless to say, we never saw the goldcup again.

Ive had both the 70 and 80 series goldcups, nice guns overall. The one 1911 variant that I wish I still had was my custom Detonics Combat Master, a handful to shoot but cool gun.

I cannot say I am a big "colt" fan per se, I've had them (still have a 1991 compact and a Sporter in 7.62x39). I cannot say I would go out of my way for one over a competitor but at the same time I would not discount one just due to the brand. As it relates to 1911's, I can say with a high degree of certainty that a Colt brand is not any better than most of the others on the market; its not a bad gun but it isn't a superior gun either as it comes to form, fit, function and performance, this does not apply to collectability

I am a BIG 1911 fan. They are like potato chips, you can't have just one.

I don't have the same affectations of the .45 that many have. I've owned a couple of "off brand" ones
like most, I suppose - including a RIA from their malaise days. It shot fine, wound up trading it on
something else I just "had" to have (that happens a lot with guns with me; love the local gun shows :)).
There's just too many really good polymers out there these days, some fantastic stuff - not to mention
I do love me some nostalgic long irons.
That said, I would absolutely LOVE to get an honest to God WW2 issue 1911. I missed the boat with the
CMP program on those and they've gone sky-high since. Darn shame.
Ed, you were spending too much time on FBBO when the paperwork needed sent in! I got lucky..

F895331A-9C04-4D16-8A37-22E04819A79B.jpeg 527F74D4-D1AB-4884-A57F-C5C0F396FA59.jpeg

Well since we are doing show and tell... LOL I will share a pic or 2 of some of mine (I do have 10 1911 variants, 11 if you count the BHP)...
IMG_1019.JPG
IMG_1020.JPG
IMG_1022.JPG
IMG_1027.JPG

I have something like 30 pistols which includes a pretty wide variety that includes Glocks, SIG, 1911's, BHP, Beretta, etc. I recently bought a SIG P320X Vtac, very nice gun and shoots exceptionally well. As it relates to 1911 (or steel) guns verses polymer guns I would say this, if it is for home defense or light carry gun, pretty much anything will do, however if it is a gun that is going to be shot a lot in a wide variety of environments then one of the modern guns such as a Glock or 320 is a better choice....
My wife's current bedside is the Sig P320 as well. She loves my Walther PPQ (M1 please, I actually prefer the lever type mag
release) but likes the P320 a hair more, which is fine by me. They're both pretty much excellent rides in modern, mid-priced polymer wonder world.
I'm no expert by any stretch, of course. I like pistols that fall readily to bear and "self-point" when I bring them up.
Some guns do that by the nature of their design - you pick them up first time, point and dang if the sights aren't right there
where they should be.
I'm actually sort of relieved she didn't pick another PPQ like mine - that rascal is seriously quick on the trigger (best trigger
I've ever experienced out of the box of any weapon!) and with a lightning reset of like .10", unintentional double-taps are
easy without some proper trigger discipline.
Just a great, smooth, non-notchy, non-gritty trigger pull on that gun. Wonderful to shoot....

Can't do the Glock thing. Grip angle does not work for me at all; I'd have to train with one exclusively for a while to
consistently keep the nose down on any of those. Probably an Ed thing, but there it is...

For CC, she has a Walther PPS2. Again, great ergonomics, easy point, great trigger.
I just recently traded in my own PPS2 on the new Sig P365 after test driving one of those. That stack and a half mag is
next gen technology and the grip fits an adult hand, something the Shield and some other sub-compacts won't do for me.
The P365 is about as small a gun as I'll own and with 10 and 12 (and even 15!) round mag options, heck, why not?
Other than that, it's all long rifle and shotguns around here. :)

Good info all. I have a Sig P238 which I have to say I am not impressed with, more so the mags than the gun itself. I have a 220, 226, 225 as well as the 320 and 238 which all came about by accident as I was never really a SIG "guy". I really do like Glocks overall but then I have shot a ton of them, competed with them, etc.

I will not dive into the long gun side as that is truly the forte, suffice to say I have many more of them than I do pistols. :lol:

Good info all. I have a Sig P238 which I have to say I am not impressed with, more so the mags than the gun itself. I have a 220, 226, 225 as well as the 320 and 238 which all came about by accident as I was never really a SIG "guy". I really do like Glocks overall but then I have shot a ton of them, competed with them, etc.

I will not dive into the long gun side as that is truly the forte, suffice to say I have many more of them than I do pistols. :lol:

Not impressed with the 238... Feed issues? I've been kinda looking at the 238 & have heard good & not so good... Love my 229..

Not impressed with the 238... Feed issues? I've been kinda looking at the 238 & have heard good & not so good... Love my 229..

Yes feed issues, it was/is predominately the mags but I do not fully trust the gun overall which is a pity as it is an expensive little item. I got the gun as part of a deal with a friend and it worked ok for while, then started having feeding issues, I know some guys at SIG, one of them on the engineering side and I talked to him about it, he sent me a new mag and the gun seemed to work ok, but in the end I just am not sure about enough to bet my life on it. I bought a G42 which I really like but then they came out with the G43.. I gave the 42 to my son but carry either my M&P Shield or G27 (depending on where I am going). I have no issues with 380 despite what people say, any gun is better than no gun and you need a gun you will actually carry. There was a time when I carried a 1911 thinking it to be the real deal, but it is a boat anchor even in compact size, I switched to a variety of other guns and ended up as I describe above. I would get a 43 but its pretty much the same as my shield so for now I am good.

Auto Transport Service
Back