• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rocker arm question.

RonFloyd

Local time
9:11 AM
Reaction score
I have been struggling to get this motor to run right. First it wouldn't hold a time the timing mark jumped around on the balancer . So I changed the whole ignition system and it holds the timing mark great now but Still not running right. I hear a slight popping from number 2 cylinder so I pulled valve cover and see this. I am new to mopar engines but I would say the rockers should be centered on valve stem. Is there spacers or something that should be between these rockers? I am thinking this could possibly change cam lift and maybe even cause extra wear on guides by not being centered. Or am I overthinking this. Sorry for the long post but Like I said this is my first mopar and want it right. It is a 68 383 in my 65 Coronet

Rocker offset.jpg

Your hold down washers might be swapped around or incorrect. Need a wide pic.

Thanks guy's . I figured it was missing some items. I guess now to decide I have an extra set of rollers and push rods I may do a cam swap and change a few items out give her a little more get up and go. Thanks for all the replies and helpful links.

Ouch!! Any idea how it got together like that??

The missing spacers are an issue for sure....... but......that may or may not be the reason for the running problem.

Before I went too much further, I’d get the rockers set up with all the correct pieces, installed in all the right places...... and see if that solves the running problem.

Spacer ring between each pair of rockers...... hold down clamps arranged:
narrow/wide/narrow/wide/narrow
Long bolts used with the wide hold downs.

I’d be checking the lifter preload situation while I was in there tinkering.

Last edited:
Ouch!! Any idea how it got together like that??
I would guess the shop that did the work probably seen an easy mark. The old guy that had it wasn’t in good health and had it “ a little milder” according to his son. He didn’t drive it much after it was done. I drove it around late summer last year and put it up. Never ran as good as I thought it should but it ran ok and I didn’t try to run the crap out it. But I will get it fixed for sure. I am thinking they may have reused the lifters from the old cam that rocker is inconsistent in the movement up and down. I plan to bring a magnetic set of dial calipers home and check lift on all the rockers after the mopar swap meet in Indy this weekend.

Whoever worked on that engine last either didn't know what they were doing or they didn't care. Sounds like you don't have much experience either so you should start by finding a FSM and maybe order a few big block Mopar books from Amazon. Whatever the last guy touched is probably wrong so you could be finding and fixing problems for a long time.

He didn’t drive it much after it was done.
He probably was not impressed with the work he had done for him, I would guess. Mopars are hearty, but I'd pull it down 100% and start over with all new gaskets and rings, and reassess any issues you may find along the way, before you find out the shop didnt know how to torque rods bolts either (for example). BTW, that's a very nice looking car, and it deserves the motor that can impress a crowd!

Trying to gauge the condition of the cam and lifters with a dial indicator...... in a hyd cam application is a waste of time.
The lifters bleed down and that will give you erroneous readings.

You have to pull the rockers off to swap in some missing parts anyway.
While you’re doing that, you can retrieve the lifters with a magnet.
Just do them one at a time....... pull it out, inspect the face....... and if they look good, put it back in, and move to the next one.
If they’re all good, reassemble the rocker gear with all the correct pieces, and check to see where you’re at for lifter preload.
If that all checks out good....... button it up and see how it runs.

All in all, that should only take a couple hours and a set of valve cover gaskets........ plus the missing valvetrain parts.

When you have a lifter out you can inspect, and see if it rocks on a flat plate
and peek at the cam lobe
I'd give them a squirt of cam break in lube when I stick them back in
when you have the rockers off check the tops of the retainers for nicks
etc
the pushrods may have pushed over against the holes in the heads
pull them one at a time and inspect for shiney spots

He probably was not impressed with the work he had done for him, I would guess. Mopars are hearty, but I'd pull it down 100% and start over with all new gaskets and rings, and reassess any issues you may find along the way, before you find out the shop didnt know how to torque rods bolts either (for example). BTW, that's a very nice looking car, and it deserves the motor that can impress a crowd!
I thought the same thing. I ordered a complete gasket set and have reached out to a local Mopar guy and he said he will guide me through it. I want to do the work myself so I know and to me that’s the best way to learn. I will make it run as good as it looks .

Be aware also....the rockers go in pairs of 'left' and 'right'. Once you have the spacers, install them Left-spacer-Right when looking toward the valves, from the middle of the engine. Look real close at a rocker you will see one edge is angled just a bit more than the other.

Well I got around to pulling the motor. Got it tore down. It has a lobe wore off the cam and lifter wore pretty bad. everything else looked good. So I plan on new bearings rings a new cam and lifter set. New oil pump just for precaution. Now to decide what cam to order. Thanks for all the advice on everything so far.

received_1543056019194069.jpeg 20200419_153259.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back