• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roller Rockers and Valve Covers

7t500

Local time
11:44 AM
Reaction score
I am hoping some of you can help me by sharing some recommendations on valve covers for aftermarket rockers and distributors.

Details:
Mopar 400 with 470 stroker kit
906 heads
New Mancini Racing 1.6 roller rockers
Pertronix flamethrower III distributor.
Aftermarket 70/80's era Weiand valve covers

The problem I have is that the new rockers at max lift are ever so slightly contacting the intake side wall of the valve covers. Now I would love a set of black fabricated covers but have concerns about running into the same issue I have now... on top of all of this, I have a Pertronix billet distributor that I already had to clearance the valve cover lip for and have heard other have clearance issues with a billet distributor and the fabricated valve covers.

I could certainly take some material out of the valve covers to get the clearance needed but man oh man would I love some fabricated covers to match the CVF alternator and belt setup I've got...

Thanks in advance!

You can buy spacers 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2"
I dont know if that will help with my rockers and the clearance with the side wall... it's possible though... have you used it with success before?

I am hoping some of you can help me by sharing some recommendations on valve covers for aftermarket rockers and distributors.

Details:
Mopar 400 with 470 stroker kit
906 heads
New Mancini Racing 1.6 roller rockers
Pertronix flamethrower III distributor.
Aftermarket 70/80's era Weiand valve covers

The problem I have is that the new rockers at max lift are ever so slightly contacting the intake side wall of the valve covers. Now I would love a set of black fabricated covers but have concerns about running into the same issue I have now... on top of all of this, I have a Pertronix billet distributor that I already had to clearance the valve cover lip for and have heard other have clearance issues with a billet distributor and the fabricated valve covers.

I could certainly take some material out of the valve covers to get the clearance needed but man oh man would I love some fabricated covers to match the CVF alternator and belt setup I've got...

Thanks in advance!

I use the fabbed covers from 440source. I have the 1.5 Mancini/HS rockers but there's plenty of clearance for the higher ratio arms. I also use the blue Moroso gaskets, which add a little extra room too. No issues with my distributor fitment, but the covers come with no holes or baffles. No problem for me though I made my own holes where/how big I needed and a 'baffled' grommet is doing fine keeping oil out of the PCV.

20190127_200105.jpg

Last edited:
I saw those but the lack of a baffled breather hole and have concerns with distributor clearance since I'm running a larger than stock distributor... how much clearance do you have between distributor and valve cover? Is it a B or RB?

I saw those but the lack of a baffled breather hole and have concerns with distributor clearance since I'm running a larger than stock distributor... how much clearance do you have between distributor and valve cover? Is it a B or RB?
Big block. At least 3/8" between cap and valve cover. (It's actually tighter between the head and the distributor).

I dont know if that will help with my rockers and the clearance with the side wall... it's possible though... have you used it with success before?

i have not, i thought they wre tapping the roof. Sorry!

Go to B3Racing industries and read all 4 tech articles
then call him and ask if this a geometry problem

I purchased cast aluminum valve covers from Marsh Performance. They clear my 1.6 roller rockers easily. They came with baffled holes for a breather and PCV grommet. I drilled another hole for a screw on oil fill port. They come polished but I elected to paint mine. Very good quality and affordable. I use the Moroso gaskets as well. No leaks.[email protected] Todd Marsh
IMG_1034.JPG
IMG_1039.JPG IMG_1040.JPG

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back