• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rough start and fuel leak - advice please

Geff McCarthy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:52 AM
Reaction score
My 400 with 4bbl Edelbrock 4bbl usually refuses to start, then leaks fuel out of the left front side while i am cranking. I have rebuilt the carb and set the float levels at least twice! Help please.

Thanks. Due to many prior difficulties, i have a pressure gauge in line, I run 4psi.

Thanks. Due to many prior difficulties, i have a pressure gauge in line, I run 4psi.
Interesting, that's actually low. I'd guess you've got a hanging up float, bad needle seat, or possibly warped upper part of the carb ( I've seen that on a afb)

I had one do that. Is the float empty? In my car, the brass float had a pinhole, and the float was about 1/2 full of gas. That kept it from closing off the needle and seat.

Agree, probably a leaking float that sinks & floods.

i pulled the carb, disassembled, replaced the left needle valve, re-set the floats, and...much better starting and no fuel leaks! Thanks for the advice.

My 400 with 4bbl Edelbrock 4bbl usually refuses to start, then leaks fuel out of the left front side while i am cranking. I have rebuilt the carb and set the float levels at least twice! Help please.

i pulled the carb, disassembled, replaced the left needle valve, re-set the floats, and...much better starting and no fuel leaks! Thanks for the advice.

I guess you need to pay more attention to what you're doing when rebuilding carbs?

Auto Transport Service
Back