• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ruined my car (temporarily)

The tailpipe exit on the new exhuast looks much better.
I recommend the hemi mufflers I had them on my Charger for a couple years until I blew them to smitherenes one day.
They were excellent.
How'd you do that, Don?

How'd you do that, Don?
I had a problem with the vacuum advance plate sticking.
Had the distributor in and out and apart about 3 times.
Finally a week went by and I didn't remember the rotor position (tough week at work with little sleep).
Tried rotating it 180 after it wouldn't fire and left the key on by mistake.
Then I noticed the reluctor gap was too wide and fixed it and wiggled the distributor...
BAM!!! Blew **** right off the back wall.
A neighbor ran over to make sure I was OK.

Had to cut the mufflers off they were so crooked and in shreds.
:cursin::cursin::cursin:

Last edited:
I had a problem with the vacuum advance plate sticking.
Had the distributor in and out and apart about 3 times.
Finally a week went by and I didn't remember the rotor position (tough week at work with little sleep).
Tried rotating it 180 after it wouldn't fire and left the key on by mistake.
Then I noticed the reluctor gap was too wide and fixed it and wiggled the distributor...
BAM!!! Blew **** right off the back wall.
A neighbor ran over to make sure I was OK.

Had to cut the mufflers off they were so crooked and in shreds.
Holy crap! Sorry, but I chuckled reading that story. :)

I had FM 50's on that sounded nice; but just too loud and my car has headers. Might have been fine with it 30 years ago. Geez...finding mufflers is like reading a menu at a Greek restaurant; endless options. My concern was buying/installing another set to still have the car louder than I wanted. Went with factory repro hemi mufflers from Accurate Exhaust. Not the cheapest by any means; much less noise with a nice sound.

I'm sure the brand has been mentioned, I am very fond of the default ones provided by TTI in their exhaust "kits". I threw away all the boxes long ago and nowadays don't try to remember the shopping list just to regurgitate it to people at the car shows n the bar. Ya.... it's got mufflers.

TTI uses Dynomax ultra flos and Dynomax super turbos. I have seen mostly super turbos with their kits but a buddy of mine swears you can get the ultra flos with their kits as well.

I like the sound of Flowmasters, but they don't flow. I've run Magnaflow race mufflers and these Hooker Max Flows. They sound similar. Magnaflow are more expensive. I would have bought them again had I known the Hookers are made in China. Both are loud, but I don't think anything will be quiet with my setup.

https://rumble.com/vfcpz1-cars-and-coffee-march-2021.html

33476844518_c4e4524bc2.jpg
Untitled by Greg Ault, on Flickr

47352942521_ef5db1e12b.jpg

46739121205_17fd60a531.jpg

My old setup I ran on a Wedge:
49082404022_175a801ccf.jpg
P9070002 by Greg Ault, on Flickr

Last edited:
I put a flow master cat back exhaust system on my wife's Challenger R/T, and the baffles in the flow master 44 mufflers keep breaking loose and rattling! It's really bad when the car is cold and less noticeable when the car warms up. I wouldn't buy them again.

I'm kind of partial to Dynomax stuff myself. Despise Flowmasters.
I have the Welded Ultra Flo mufflers on my car. I actually liked the sound of the Flowmasters for hot-footing around town. Mine were obnoxious for distance travel but I liked the sound at WOT.
By comparison, the Ultra Flo mufflers make a nice sound at WOT but are too tame for me at idle or cruise. I like to hear a bit more than I am getting.

I have the Welded Ultra Flo mufflers on my car. I actually liked the sound of the Flowmasters for hot-footing around town. Mine were obnoxious for distance travel but I liked the sound at WOT.
By comparison, the Ultra Flo mufflers make a nice sound at WOT but are too tame for me at idle or cruise. I like to hear a bit more than I am getting.
I'll swap ya then.
Get out the torch!
Flowmaster 40's are what the bowtie boys use to make their cars sound like they got sumpthin' :)

Ear infections in my youth left me with some minor hearing loss... an ailment that ended my Army career before it really started.
Loud was what I needed but at freeway speeds, it felt like having an annoying rock band in my trunk.

Ear infections in my youth left me with some minor hearing loss... an ailment that ended my Army career before it really started.
Loud was what I needed but at freeway speeds, it felt like having an annoying rock band in my trunk.
Well, dang... *looks down, mumbles and kicks pebble*

Thanks for all the replies and advice guys. I'll see what I can come up with, noting availability and pricing. Flowmasters are easy to get here in Australia (but I don't want them), as are the Hooker Aero Chambers linked above. They were actually on my shortlist before I made the boo-boo with the Glasspacks. I have no idea what they sound like though - you can watch a hundred Youtube videos and still not know what any muffler really sounds like, especially in the car which is the most important part. The Aero Chambers are in stock though in Australia which is a huge plus (for timing and for shipping costs), but they are chambered and not turbo style so I'm assuming will be loud? I'll also talk to the muffler guy on Monday - he's very old school and may have something generic that fits the bill and won't break the bank.

I've now got 3 videos of my car taking off with the old mufflers no H-pipe, old mufflers with H-pipe, and the Glasspacks no H-pipe. The Glasspacks sound fantastic on the video - I'll try to post them later - but it's evident that videos v real world are 2 different things.

You You Tubing the vids ? I'm a You Tube junky.

Factory hemi mufflers sound good too, ECS has a perfect reproductions.
I purchased my exhaust from Accurate, in Roseburg, OR... I wanted the stock hemi mufflers and they "persuaded" me into the "Slightly Louder" hemi reproductions they sell....
They sound really nice....

TTI uses Dynomax ultra flos and Dynomax super turbos. I have seen mostly super turbos with their kits but a buddy of mine swears you can get the ultra flos with their kits as well.
That is true, now...a few years back turbos were the only thing with their kits... I just ordered a full TTI exhaust for my 68 coronet and sourced my own Ultra Flo mufflers from summit. The ones from TTI are modified to fit several vehicles. If you order the right ones yourself they bolt right in no problems!

Well, "Loud is GOOD if your 25 yers of aj]ge, but when you are above 50, Quiet is better...As Confucious once said:
"Shine but invisibly cuz Honda V-tecs's aere LOUD"

Auto Transport Service
Back