• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Running pfte fuel lines

hpg4815

Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
Conducting a full rebuild on a 72 charger and I purchased pfte lines and using the fragola fittings. Assumption is I would run the pfte hoses inside the frame, but I do not have frame extenders and therefore the lines would only be partially protected. Not to mention I would have to punch holes in the frame to be able to run this lines in a acceptable orientation. These pfte lines are more bulky then the original metal lines and do not fit up under the car as nice as the metal runs. Has anyone run these lines on a 1972 charger? If so, do you have pics you would want to share? I’ve been lying under the car trying to find the best route and have and have not come to any desirable solution. Looking for tips or guidance. I feel like I need to protect these lines for safety reasons.

Thank you!

I have to ask you why? To me you are needlessly wasting time and money where the pre-bent lines fall in place and fasten.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't run any line or power through a frame rail, there are too many flanges, sharp edges, etc that the lines, etc can get cut or worn through on. Its fine to run a line through a crossmember or bulkhead that you can install a grommet on either side of but through a blind frame rail ... no way.

While the line may not fit along the rocker flange as well as the stock line did, nobody is going to see it unless they get down on their hands and knees.

I run nylon braided over steel braided ptfe lines on my '67 w AN fittings. However, I only do so from tank to filter, filter to steel factory line. I used 3/8" tube to AN compression fitting at each end of factory line. I run fuel injection and also did the same for return. Ran a parallel factory line w double clamps back to tank for return. They fit perfect.

Personally I wouldn't run any line or power through a frame rail, there are too many flanges, sharp edges, etc that the lines, etc can get cut or worn through on. Its fine to run a line through a crossmember or bulkhead that you can install a grommet on either side of but through a blind frame rail ... no way.

While the line may not fit along the rocker flange as well as the stock line did, nobody is going to see it unless they get down on their hands and knees.
Thank you! that makes sense. I wasn't too concerned about looks more so about protecting the line.

I have to ask you why? To me you are needlessly wasting time and money where the pre-bent lines fall in place and fasten.
Unfortuantely I do not have a good response to your question on why, but in retrospect the preform fuel lines do seem appealing at this stage. I did change to use a in tank fuel pump.

I run nylon braided over steel braided ptfe lines on my '67 w AN fittings. However, I only do so from tank to filter, filter to steel factory line. I used 3/8" tube to AN compression fitting at each end of factory line. I run fuel injection and also did the same for return. Ran a parallel factory line w double clamps back to tank for return. They fit perfect.
Running EFI as well. Is the return line Pfte as well? Where did you mount your filter? I have a areomotive micro air filter which is about 2" thick. I'm thinking it will fit on the inside of the rocker about mid way of the car.

Running EFI as well. Is the return line Pfte as well? Where did you mount your filter? I have a areomotive micro air filter which is about 2" thick. I'm thinking it will fit on the inside of the rocker about mid way of the car.
I ran 2 steel factory lines. 3/8" tubing to AN compression fittings at each end to connect the short amount of ptfe I needed. Yes, ptfe at ends of both lines. It never rots, can handle pressure and is vapor barrier. I use a 1987 Chevy Blazer style 5 micron filter w AN fittings on each side. I mounted it with clamps and sheet metal screws to the trunk floor above the rear diff.

EFI here also. I took a hack from the modern and took two 3/8 SS factory lines to my local fitting/line company and they welded the appropriate fitting on the end of them and then crimped flex lines on the end of them and then AN fitting on the end of them to go to the throttle body and the pump and the return line. I ran the line the factory route and covered it with heat covering at the engine and over the tail pipe.

Ran 3/8 SS pre-bent pressure and return lines front to rear, only used short sections of PTFE for connections.

118.jpg

123.jpg

258.jpg

121.jpg

282.jpg

Last edited:
I remember now why. I was talking to my parts guy and told him I wanted the easiest route. He pitched using custom made hard lines with pfte at the efi and the tank ends similar to how 68moparmaniac did but I didn’t have a tone of experience making custom hard lines bending and flaring.

I used the Wix 'corvette' filter/regulator.
Mounted it on the inner frame rail near the tank, internal pump, short return line to tank, one line up to engine.

Bought rubber lined hose retainers, self tappers.

Used the existing fuel line hole in the torsion bar crossmember, put a length of hose through first, had to widen the forward hole only.

Fragola fittings, easy peasy.

Put a length of that velcro heat cloth over the lines at the rear, which were not even close to anything, as well as where the line came up into the engine compartment.

Conducting a full rebuild on a 72 charger and I purchased pfte lines and using the fragola fittings. Assumption is I would run the pfte hoses inside the frame, but I do not have frame extenders and therefore the lines would only be partially protected. Not to mention I would have to punch holes in the frame to be able to run this lines in a acceptable orientation. These pfte lines are more bulky then the original metal lines and do not fit up under the car as nice as the metal runs. Has anyone run these lines on a 1972 charger? If so, do you have pics you would want to share? I’ve been lying under the car trying to find the best route and have and have not come to any desirable solution. Looking for tips or guidance. I feel like I need to protect these lines for safety reasons.

Thank you!
Out of curiosity, WHY are you considering using PTFE (Poly Tetra Fluoro Ethylene) or "Teflon" (registered trademark of E.I. DuPont de Numours)? There are several different grades of Teflon tubing, based on ID, wall thickness and pressure ratings. Which grade are you condidering? Is it safe to use eith gasoline and its derrivitives? The only safe method of connecting tends is with mechanical connections, ie crimped on or swaged on ends, similar to hydraulic hoses, and protecting the tubing with stainless steel braded covering, or similar material, from road debris and or abrasion. The other factor to consider is heat. Teflon tubing pressure rating degrades with heat. In the event of a fire or collision damage, Teflon tubing can rupture, leading to a catastrophe. IMO....sure it may be easier to install but not as safe as a hard line....steel or stainless steel......just a thought......
BOB RENTON

^ There are a ton of teflon a/n lines and fittings available, many of which are not covered in a stainless braid or use crimped on ends.

I've not heard of or experienced any problems with it.

The positives are, it doesn't break down and contaminate carbs/injectors. Also it does not allow permeation as many rubber hoses do (so your garage doesn't smell of fuel).

Auto Transport Service
Back