• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust incapsulating paint

Monkeymaster

Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
Hello
So for minor floor pan rust, is there any real rust incapsulating paint or is it all just snake oil ?
Been sand blasting anything that I can get too, but there are those spots that it would be awesome to have a magic spray on “ bullet”
Thanks

I think it is all snake oil. You are not solving the problem, just covering it up. Blasting it is the best imo, but phosphoric acid works marvelous as well. Just make sure you neutralize it when the rust is gone. Then epoxy prime and you are good to go.

Had pretty good luck with Eastwood rust encapsulater. I wire wheeled it and used super clean and scotchbrite then washed and applied. Really happy with results. Can’t remember if ur supposed to paint over but I didn’t. Rust didn’t come back thru. Liked it better than por 15!

Yeah, stay away from POR15 whatever you do. That stuff is the bottom of the barrel imo.

If I see that garbage on a car I pass on it. What else did they cheat on?

Hello
So for minor floor pan rust, is there any real rust incapsulating paint or is it all just snake oil ?
Been sand blasting anything that I can get too, but there are those spots that it would be awesome to have a magic spray on “ bullet”
Thanks

20 years ago I painted three test panels on top of a rusty shed roof. One was the brushed on red Eastwood stuff, and the other two were a clear spray-on and a black brush-on (unknown brands at this point). Every one of them was rusting through within 5 years. The spray-on one completely flaked off and left nothing but a stain at ten years. The black brush-on faired best, and Eastwood in between. At 15 years the other two had mostly flaked away and were pretty much just rust again. Then I scrapped the shed.

Granted, this was outside in a wet climate, so deterioration was at max speed. I'm sure it fairs better if it is not exposed to water (as anything would), but the bottom line is that encapsulators are not full-proof permanent solutions. There is no magic bullet except to remove rust via mechanical or chemical means.

If I'm doing something quick or on a budget, my current preference is to use a heavy wire brush, a rust converter, followed by a top coat of rust-preventative sealing paint.

I used phosporic acid and corroseal depending where the rust was.. then painted over it once the rust was converted.

Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer Brush and Spray once the metal is clean or you have bad areas to get to and you want to spray. Did that to a friend of mine's 72 Mach 1 seven years ago and none of the surface rust has returned. There was nothing like holes in the metal or bubbles -- it was all surface rust on non-painted panels at the factory. We took off the door panels and the entire inside of the door had surface rust. Also under the dash -- surface rust everywhere. We sanded as best we could and the applied the rust reformer. It turned everything black where the rust could not be removed or hard to get to. The car sat for 20 years in a garage and he could not afford a resto. So I helped him and nothing has returned so far. It lives in Maryland right now in a garage, with very wet and cold seasons. I know it's probably not a permanent fix, but most of the bare metal areas from the build of the car that got surface rust over the years were "fixed" -- the car is a driver so he is very happy that nothing has returned.

I had great luck with Corroseal. I used it on some pitted bumper brackets and other parts and painted over. Still looks new. Converts rust to iron oxide and turns black. Cool product. On areas I couldn't reach or wanted sealed, like framerails, I poured in and coated with RustBullet. No peeling at all after 7 years.

I second the good luck with the Rust Bullet product. I've used it on some pretty rough stuff and it has not failed yet. I also used it to seal an old cement stationary tub in my house back in '05. I have cleaned tons of stuff in the tub over the years and it still hung on and never peeled. The stuff dries hard as nails with great adhesion. I sold that house a few years back but the current owner wanted to know what I used since he had some stuff that he wanted to use it on and was crazy impressed with it's durability. I also used it to stop the rims on my sisters 2000'ish Monte Carlo from oxidizing internally and externally. That was in 08'ish and they haven't peeled or shown any signs of new oxidation since. They also now hold air and don't bleed down like they used to. I think she has had the tires changed 2 or 3 times since and nothing chipped off when they used the tire machine on it. Pretty tough stuff.

A slightly different application with por 15. I had my mower deck off of the zero turn for maintenance and I happened to see my can of black por 15. So I thought why not try it. It just might save the deck from the grass rusting it out. So I painted it, the whole underside. That stuff held up great in that environment and the grass hardly stuck anymore. It worked for that.

I have had good success with a product called “Rust Ender” from “The Shops”. It is a rust converter.

Auto Transport Service
Back