• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rusted End Cap Bolts?

boboh1

Local time
3:38 PM
Reaction score
Took off the end cap to replace the rear main seal and one bolt in particular was rusty and corroded. I am a bit concerned as to why this occurred and not sure if it may be from normal age or not. Any ideas why it was like this? IMG_2774.jpeg

Looks like they have been in a wet/damp environment. Cant say I have ever seen that on a running motor.

Maybe it was put together with rusty bolts. There is no coolant that low in the block to leak there. If there is coolant at those bolts it has serious problems. LOL

Maybe it was put together with rusty bolts. There is no coolant that low in the block to leak there. If there is coolant at those bolts it has serious problems. LOL
Well that’s a relief at least.

But if someone put it together with rusty bolts then the whole engine would be questionable.

Looks like something that sat in a junkyard, on the ground, without a pan on it for years. The amount of rust is amazing.

What's the inside of the block look like?

Looks like something that sat in a junkyard, on the ground, without a pan on it for years. The amount of rust is amazing.

What's the inside of the block look like?
Looks ok to me but I am no expert. Under the valve covers looked good. I know the car sat for awhile at some point due to old mouse nest under the hood insulation.

What post #8 said.....
Those bolts only have a light load on them...not holding up the Brooklyn bridge....

Auto Transport Service
Back