• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Cap Gasket Replacement

Rishi

Local time
5:11 AM
Reaction score
Can the rubber gasket on the oil filler cap be replaced? Anyone know a source for these?

The rubber gasket on my oil filler cap leaks and I'm often wiping up grime that accumulates around the filler hole. Inspection of the gasket showed it was somewhat hard, but I didn't realize it was so brittle. I tried prying the gasket off, thinking I may buy another or fabricate one from some a gasket sheet.

On online search for this gasket is not giving me the results I think I want. Can this be replaced? I'd like to keep the vintage cap with patina, but may have to opt for a repop unless I can find a gasket.
IMG_2060.JPG

Gasket measures 1.875 x 0.75 x 0.0625

edit: It would have to stretch from 0.75 to 1.25 in order to replace it. I'm guessing this is not something one normally replaces.

Last edited:
If nothing else, I would cut one out of an inner tube.

Buy a new one and see it the seal will pull out.

Or grab a good one off some old junker.
The whole cap that is

I would think you could make one out of cork gasket material

I would think you could make one out of cork gasket material
Not a bad idea, but I don't think I can stretch the inner 3/4-inch opening to 1-1/4 without tearing the cork. I bought some rubber/neoprene gasket material from my local hardware store, I'm gonna give that a go before I give up and use a repop.

Auto Transport Service
Back