• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RVers out there?

Here's our rig. We're going into our 17th year with this camper and 18th year with our truck. We were progressing toward a 5th wheel, but then fuel prices went nuts and my old job wasn't giving raises for the last 10 years that I worked there. Life is a lot better with my new job. Now we have the kayaks and the rack, so we'll probably stick with the travel trailer. We have looked at some new ones, though, so we may buy a new one some time. This one has served us very well and has been paid for for forever. We've towed it to California, Maine and a lot of points in between over the years.

20161012_093040.jpg

I bought a used Super C in 2010 a 1999 Renegade 1816MG with a garage that I load my TJ in
Will be loading this afternoon to head to Moab Utah for Easter Jeep Safari
The New versions of this unit goes under 1816AG and out of my price range
will live in it for 5 weeks then back home to work and pay for the fuel

No idea what you're talking about other than going on "Jeep Safari".

What's a "Super C"?
What's a "1816MG"? that comes with a garage?
What's a "new version of this unit that goes under a 1816AG"?
What's a "1816AG"? (must be expensive though)

Sorry but to me it is all mumbo jumbo. Is that Jeep talk? :wtf:

This is a great topic. Within the next 5 years, I'd like to think that I can buy either a slightly used class C motorhome or a big enough trailer to tow and go out for a couple months at a time & travel the country. When I've seen all I want to see (after a couple of years), then sell it.

Any thoughts on which would be the way to go; motorhome or trailer?[/QUOTE
Motorhome vs travel trailer depends a lot on personal preference. I chose a travel trailer so that I could just uncouple it when I got where I was going and I could use the tow vehicle to travel around the area. With a motorhome you are kind of stuck where you are camping unless you tow a car or make other arrangements like a rental car. A 25' motorhome is a lot easier to drive and park than towing a 25' travel trailer. Towing a trailer is pretty tiring for an old guy like me if I'm trying to make 500+ miles a day. I would probably go the motorhome route if I was going to travel long distances and be gone more than a few weeks at a time. One of the main factors is cost. A trailer is going to be a lot cheaper especially if you already own a tow vehicle. The class c motorhomes that I like would cost 75K+ and if I'm not using it all the time I really can't justify the cost. It all comes down to how you want to travel and how much you want to spend.

No idea what you're talking about other than going on "Jeep Safari".

What's a "Super C"?
What's a "1816MG"? that comes with a garage?
What's a "new version of this unit that goes under a 1816AG"?
What's a "1816AG"? (must be expensive though)

Sorry but to me it is all mumbo jumbo. Is that Jeep talk? :wtf:

It is a Renegade motor home made by kibbi and it has 18 ft living space plus slide
and 16ft of garage that I drive the Jeep into
It is on a FL80 Freightliner chassis with 10 22.5 tires on the road
A super C is just a bigger unit and mine is 44ft long
with a Cat diesel
If you google EJS Moab you will see it is like Sturgis but for Jeeps

Thanks for the advice Smitty. If Submit & I do get into this in a few years, my thoughts would be to buy a slightly used motorhome or trailer (letting someone else take the depreciation from new), go out for a month or two at a time & see the country. When we decide that we've had enough however many years down the road, just sell it.

Rich,That is exactly what to do. You can find a nice low mileage motorhome that a couple may have bought and finds out it is not what they thought it would be, or how much work,and tough to drive having never driven anything bigger than a SUV.

It is a Renegade motor home made by kibbi and it has 18 ft living space plus slide
and 16ft of garage that I drive the Jeep into
It is on a FL80 Freightliner chassis with 10 22.5 tires on the road
A super C is just a bigger unit and mine is 44ft long
with a Cat diesel
If you google EJS Moab you will see it is like Sturgis but for Jeeps

Thanks, I was thinking all along you were talking about a "Jeep Renegade". Kept thinking about this all afternoon while working in the garage and it finally dawned on me that you must have meant that your TRAILER was called a Renegade. At least that thought was a bit closer to a motor home. That thing must be huge, I've never seen one that has a "garage" included in it so that you can "haul" not "tow" your driver vehicle.

At least I was close to right on the "Easter Jeep Safari" part. Figured it was a big Jeep gathering. :thankyou:

We used to go all the time. Then i bought a cabin. We kind of miss it. We mostly camped in MI. Anything rustic. The up is crazy good like that. We never camped in a camper city.

Last edited:
Right now we have a 27 foot Scott 5th wheel. I have owned everything in the past. From tent campers to pickup campers to bumper pulls. I had a 37 foot class A as well as a class C London Air. All have pro's and con's I like the 5th wheel the best. The worst I have owned was the 37 footer. POS everything was power and everything failed at one point or another. 100K rig and after 10 years of pouring money into it I was glad to see it go for 6K. It was a Pace Arrow. The London Air was the best built of all of them but very expensive unit.

Mmissle, I guess the camper lingo for one with a "garage" is called a toy hauler. And yes they can get very large, one that size would have to be triple axle. A lot of them are sized more towards motorcycles and quads. Another thing to consider regarding a motorhome is its another vehicle and insurance on a 150k vehicle can be prohibitive. Insurance on my 5th wheel is $350 per yr. All the liability is on the tow vehicle. For pure travel, they sure are nice, but I end up being the travel bus for our friends once we go sightseeing since they don't bring a car. Think about driving your 42' class A through Yellowstone or Yosemite, not exactly fun. There are lots of parks with restrictions too for trailers and motorhomes. I remember leaving the camper in the parking lot of Mesa Verde, Mrs Wacko was not thrilled.
In Carlisle last summer
20170328_192406.jpg

Last edited:
Sunrader is one of the most weather proof house's because of the simple two piece design. Upper half & lower half. While lot less caulking/sealing involved. I havent seen much full size Sunrader, only the small Toyotas. They hold their value extremely well......10K is an average for 70 & 80's vintage.
You can get large Class A & C, gasoline rigs all day long for less than 10K,,,,,,20K opens up a really wide range of choices within last 20 years.
Like a Beaver 28 Ft. Class C/Dodge w/ 440....can be found @ an average of 5K. Then You mess with rear end gears(stock are usually 4:10(Overkill!), overdrives to improve gas mileage. If You dont pull excessive loads, then raise the rear gears to 3:55.
The point im getting at is there are lots of motorhomes of higher end mfg. available for damned reasonable money pound for pound. There is no need to go spend 100K on new rigs other than to keep up with the jones's.
I know that 90's vin 30 ft Class C Ford V-10 w/ slide-outs can be had south of 20K easy peasey.
Compared to cars, the motorhome market is a Buyer's market.
The time to shop is Off Season!

For the best deal go to the snow bird belt about February. Florida for the east cost and Arizona for the west. Dealers lots are full of inventory from the past winter season and trust me THEY WILL DEAL. I have purchased most of mine this way and they throw the blue book out the window so not to have full lots in off season.

For the best deal go to the snow bird belt about February. Florida for the east cost and Arizona for the west. Dealers lots are full of inventory from the past winter season and trust me THEY WILL DEAL. I have purchased most of mine this way and they throw the blue book out the window so not to have full lots in off season.
Yeah, its my understanding that a lot of new inventory that doesnt move for the model year goes back to be re-coached for the next model year. You're right, they bust balls for end of year closeouts.

Motorhomes are great - very convenient, but expensive. For us, to have a drivetrain tied up in a vehicle we don't use all that often would be a waste. The truck has been my daily driver for 18 years, so it serves multiple purposes. I like the practicality of that. It's also nice to be able to unhitch and have transportation while camping. With a motorhome, you have to tow a smaller vehicle or use mopeds or whatever. On the other hand, you can get in and go at the drop of the hat easier in a motorhome. Pros and cons to everything in life. For us, the trailer is the way to go. We take very good care of our stuff, so the 17 year old trailer is still in great working order. We don't have much money in it, and it's enough luxury to make camping comfortable for us. We still like to spend as much time outside when camping - even eating and cooking outside when we can. We like the camping experience, so we've resisted the temptation to go with too much of a Taj Mahal on wheels to this point.

Re-habbing an older motorhome can be a good deal if you are willing and able to do most of the work yourself. I've seen really good deals on rigs that are very low mileage and have been stored inside. The flip side is that it can be kind of a crap shoot. A few years ago my neighbor bought a nice low mileage Fleetwood Bounder, fixed up the interior the way he wanted it and took off for northern B.C. Canada to go fishing. He was almost to Terrace B.C. (the middle of nowhere) when the Cummins 5.9 in the MH broke a camshaft and basically took out the whole motor. Three weeks later and about $15K lighter he was back on the road. I don't think he paid much more than $15K for the rig when he bought it. It doesn't happen very often, but it's kind of a cautionary tale. When you look at a used rig it can be kind of hard to tell how well it's been maintained or how hard it's been run. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from buying a used MH but you have to go in with your eyes open. Any MH requires a lot of maintenance even if nothing big goes TU.

Stay 30 ft & under, the MH is plenty tractable for town use. All of my old Dodges have been simple & reliable....i have Never had to call for tow, was always able to do DIY roadside repair.
For jobs, its fantastic to just drive to jobsite, have the shop, tools & living quarters available as needed. Most i ever paid for a rig was 3500.00......pays for itself real quick.
Can also have fun doing the slow
Pretzel Drift. My 74 Tioga would do 105mph on perfectly flat pavement. That particular 360 revved beyond 5500 rpm.
Old Class C Dodges can be had for way cheap & they are bullet proof.
The 73 Fireball/Dodge 360, 22 ft i presently have i only paid 900.00 for. Its a Keeper, wont ever sell it.

Auto Transport Service
Back