• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sad day in mopar world. Sometimes money dont matter

dieseldazzle

Local time
4:29 PM
Reaction score
Well I have known about a Bronze 1967 Hemi Charger 4 speed dana car that has been sitting since the 80s out beside my good buddies dads garage under a blue tarp. Im sure he has gone through alot of tarps in the past 30 years.

He quit driving the hemi when the camshaft split in two. He pulled the motor and put it on a crate in his garage and let the car, complete, sit next to his garage.

Meanwhile in the perfectly good garage sits a 1970s dodge window van.

So many folks have tried to buy the charger, including myself. I went down there in 2009 with 30k cash and of course my buddies dad wouldnt sell.

I put it into my memory banks, took some pictures and left it at that.

Well fast forward and my best friend who is a mopar collector and 66/67 charger freak like myself asks if he can try to buy it.

I put him in contact with my other friend and his dad.

Long story short,

This car sits outside and rots. My buddy isnt looking to buy it to flip he wants to see it restored. He also has a restored 67 383 charger that has the same color code inside and out.

So he loads up his restored charger and 50,000 cash and heads down.

Has a great 3 hour conversation, gets to see the car hear the stories etc.

Mike, the hemi car owner, loves the charger. Reminds him of when he first got the hemi car.

My buddy takes the keys, title and 50,000 and puts it on the hood of the hemi car.

Mike tells him that he has him thinking but he doesnt want to sell it.

My buddy gives him $500 bucks for his time then leaves his name/number and you know the drill.....

Funny thing is the owner wont even move it into the garage. I offered a full days help to get it into the garage under shelter so that when someone decides to take the time and money (his son , also my buddy) to restore it....it is an actual car and not a pile of rust.

Sad day in the mopar world and just goes to show money dont seem to matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats a dealer added vinyl top.

Attachments

• IMG_1884.jpg
    IMG_1884.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,056
  • IMG_1891.jpg
    IMG_1891.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,023
  • IMG_1895.jpg
    IMG_1895.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,023
  • IMG_1899.jpg
    IMG_1899.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,044
  • IMG_1892.jpg
    IMG_1892.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 997
  • IMG_0801.jpg
    IMG_0801.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,011
I can understand not wanting to sell something, but why would an owner leave it out, and waste your time talking about it for three hours? Does he Just want the attention, or what?

I can understand not wanting to sell something, but why would an owner leave it out, and waste your time talking about it for three hours? Does he Just want the attention, or what?

Not sure. He says 66/67 chargers are ugly cars and such things. Seems not to care enough about it to move it into a proper storage area but it is easy for us to look in from outside the box. It is his reality not ours but very sad to me.

I used to draw pictures of 66/67 hemi chargers and day dream of them since the rides my uncle (well close close family friend) would give me rides in his hemi car.

When I was in the position myself as an adult to buy one I did not because I know me and me wouldnt leave it alone. Id be modifying it and tampering with it....so I bought non hemi cars....out of respect you know?

Some people aren't influenced by what's considered normal. It's his, and to do what he sees fit for it. I know of several rare old mopars that are becoming dust. Do I really care or worry about it/them?....nah, I wouldn't want people bothering me about my stuff. There's plenty of old stuff out there, for sale. I also don't see where there was any room to make any profit on that car, with that offer.

It's not a waste of time if it's building a good rapport with the owner and his son. One never knows what may happen in the next year...5 years...10 years.

- - - Updated - - -

... I also don't see where there was any room to make any profit on that car, with that offer.

With an offer like that, I don't think he was considering any profit margin...just a chance to fulfill a dream of owning 'his' ideal hemi car.

Some people aren't influenced by what's considered normal. It's his, and to do what he sees fit for it. I know of several rare old mopars that are becoming dust. Do I really care or worry about it/them?....nah, I wouldn't want people bothering me about my stuff. There's plenty of old stuff out there, for sale. I also don't see where there was any room to make any profit on that car, with that offer.

Not looking to make a profit.

Mike is a car guy thats the funny thing about it.

If we were bothering him I dont think he would take the time to come out of the house walk around the shop and uncover the charger then talk about it for 3 hours.

Trust me it doesnt keep me awake at night...just thought id share on this forum....b body...mopar and all....crazy situation to me.

All too common tale unfortunately.
"I'm gonna fix it one day" and I always say, not unless you can reassemble rust.
I like the cash in front of the wife idea though ... gotta keep that in mind.

Last edited:
My uncles friend has a 1970 coronet RT {hemi/automatic} unrestored he bought it new, solid no rot, in an climate controlled garage {I installed the HVAC system for his garage, I ran my hands over the car cover a few times}, he's in his 70's and in bad health, WILL NOT sell the car, his wife is alive and a bit younger than him {early 60's} and begged him to sell it so she doesn't have to do it when he passes, they had a son who passed away {carpet cleaner chemicals poisoned him when he was around 3 or 4 years old in the 70's, they had a company come and clean the carpet then the baby was playing on it after and died that night, sad story}...

Anyway he will never sell it, said he was offered $500K years ago by the owner of the dealership that he bought it from and he declined. The car has an engine noise, hasnt been started since the late 80's, windshield is broken, grills need some work, has 70K miles on it, tires dry rotted, paint faded, dash pad cracked, seats brittle, but not a dent or piece of rot visible...

A lot of people know about the car, and the wife has a bunch of phone numbers including a couple guys that want to restore it and make a commision on the sale, she asked me what I thought, and I told her not to ask me, I told her I would giver her a duplex I own outright with no mortgage and she laughed and said she would keep me in mind, lol... I may have also offered her my 2 sons and any future children I may have...

I seen 67 h chargers for sale in the 60's, your buddy should move on, I have also never heard of someone handing of $500 to look at a car, shoot Hemi Joe has like 10 hemis, 8 v code cars, and a handful of a/c convertible cars in his collection, he will walk you around for free, and maybe even buy you lunch, lol....

I wouldn't have taken your buddies $500, that is nuts, I would have told your buddy to save it towards another car out there..

Last edited:
What are you going to do. Money isn't everything to many people.

I had a friend that had a charger when we were growing up exactly like the one in the pics only it was pristine. (Not a Hemi).

I don't know if I ever seen a early Hemi car With Power Disc Brakes that adds to the rarity.

I also tried to trade him a 3 bedroom house on 3.5 acres here in florida, 900 a month rental income. He could care less.

lol

wow...50k for a project car...amazing..
bitd,in nc,i had the chance to buy a 66/67 hemi charger/green green,and i passed on it.
didnt like the bodystyle at the time,hated the color....worst part?
price was 600 bucks....

Hummm this story sounds all to familiar !! Take out your buddy Mike and put my dad in their !! Almost the same exact way I had to go find my own mopars after dad gave me my first one and got me hooked mean while a few very very nice cars of my dad's sit at least their under a roof I guess !:head_smack:

wow...50k for a project car...amazing..
bitd,in nc,i had the chance to buy a 66/67 hemi charger/green green,and i passed on it.
didnt like the bodystyle at the time,hated the color....worst part?
price was 600 bucks....

50k seems like too much though not much comparative sales data available but the 67 Hemi Charger from the Tim Wellborn collection only sold for 62k.
here is a link to the auction listing of the Wellborn car https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/FL0115-204119/10197/1967-Dodge-Hemi-Charger-Show-Car/Automatic/

i'd take the 50k and the charger for my hemi clone 71 cuda and mine is done . on e bay now at 46k

Auto Transport Service
Back